New Machine Build Choosing the right hardware for my first build.

Thread: Choosing the right hardware for my first build.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Choosing the right hardware for my first build.

Hi!
    I'm looking to purchase hardware for my first router build.
    I want something fairly rigid, that will handle aluminium and some soft metals. I will go for a gantry set up and probably end up copying allot from others.

I plan on designing the mill in Inventor, but before I do that I need to decide on what hardware to go for.

I watched a review by David Burrell, where he looked the ballscrews from China that are available on Ebay. He gave them good remarks, so I thought I would just buy a set of those including sbr20 linear rails.

Is this good choice? I would love some feedback on this selection.

To drive the mill, I was thinking about going for a 4 axis set from cncrouterparts. It looks like a decent price to me and gives me a chance to add the 4th axis later on.

I plan to make the purchase later this week, so I can start designing my mill soon.

Thanks for your help !

Similar Threads:

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is this a true mill or a router? Gantry makes it seem more like a router. The intended workpiece maximum dimensions, weight, travel etc. are needed to determine the hardware required. Remember, aluminum weighs the same as granite.

Are you going to uae small end mills that need high rpm as well as face mills that require more torque than speed.

Dick Z

DZASTR

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It is going to be a router (I had to look up the difference ).

I intend to use the full 700mm x 700mm x 400mm span, that I can get out of the ballscrew/rail set. Since I haven't designed the router itself, I'm unsure of the weight of it.
    I might make some of the items for it from cheap materials to begin with. Then use it to make better quality improvements.

What I am interested in knowing, is if I am clearly buying sub-par hardware.
    Basically weather or not I am making a huge mistake in the purchase.

I live in Iceland, so getting things from China can take months. So I want to start by ordering parts that I will be able to make a solid machine with.
    I'm sure I will learn much and more about the machines requirements in the meantime.

I am inexperienced in milling myself, so I am open for suggestions on my requirements towards torque or speed.