Would it be possible to cut 16mm Aluminium sheet with a jigsaw?

Thread: Would it be possible to cut 16mm Aluminium sheet with a jigsaw?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Would it be possible to cut 16mm Aluminium sheet with a jigsaw?

I need to make some aluminium sides for the ends of my gantry.

I would like them to be light, thus the aluminium.
    And I think that I will need to use something like in the 10-20mm thickness range.

Idealy I would get these laser cut. But for two bits is is going to cost an arm and a leg. So I was wondering if I could cut it out with at hand jigsaw?

What kind of blad would i need? Big teeth?

Peter

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

In my experience, cutting alu with a jigsaw can go well. I found a variable speed saw on the slowest setting and small fine toothed blade works OK. You made need some kind of spray cutting fluid/oil to help things along. I've not tried as thick as 16mm with a jigsaw, but take it nice and easy and it should go fine. I have cut thicker stuff with my table saw and my mitre saw, but if you need odd shapes, a jigsaw is the only cheap alternative.

I can take a piccy of the blade I use, if it would help.

Regards Terry.

Downloads
    Uploads

Terry,

I just need to cut out the ends for my gantry. The shape is like a rectangle say 40cmx 15cm then a triangle put ontop of that. The rectangle bit will have the bishop wisecarver bearings mounted to it. Then it rises up towards the top of the triangle where the gantry will mount.. ie two bits of that aluminium between the gantry ends.

I have heard that you can cut aluninium with a circular saw? What kind of blade do I need?

Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Typically alu blades for power saws have a higher tooth count. Around 60 - 80 teeth. This is the type of blade I use.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...67526&id=11204

You should be able to find one near you easily enough.

I'm not sure on how safe it'd be cutting alu with a handheld circular saw tho'.

Regards Terry.

Downloads
    Uploads

To cut aluminum plate with a power hand saw use a good quality saw and get what is called a triple chip blade that says on the box it is okay for use on non ferrous metals. Clamp the workpiece rigidly and also clamp on a guide for the saw; just measure how far the blade is in from the edge of the saw base to get the guide offset. When starting the cut it may be better to lift the blade guard by hand, most saws have a little lever for this, because sometimes it will not slide smoothly over the edge of the metal and if it catches and releases and the saw jerks into the cut it can stall. Paint lubricant along the cut line on both sides of the material, on the sides of the blade and the bottom of the saw base; automatic transmission fluid is good for this. Wear hearing protectors and goggles; it will be noisy and chips will go everywhere. Feed the saw slowly into the cut, if the saw is fed too fast there will be considerable back pressure and the saw will feel rough and bouncy; at the correct feed rate the saw almost seems to float through the metal with no effort.

Downloads
    Uploads

With 16mm it may go slow with a jig saw, I have a Milwaukee reciprocating saw I use in a pinch which works really well and allows me to use a coarser blade, The recommended blade with any metal is to have a minimum of three teeth engaged in the cut, I have found that the finer blades clog on aluminum.
    Kerosene or Varsol works as a lubricant.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you want good results, cut it a little big, with either a jigsaw or circular saw. Then, using a straitedge as a guide, use a router with a bearing (pattern) bit to trim it to the finish size. You'll get very nice clean edges that way. Just take light passes with the router.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Can you find anyone to shear it for you?

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all the reply's.

I think that I might give it a go with a jigsaw and a rough blade first. See how it goes. I like the idea of finishing it with a router.

Ger21: "router with a bearing (pattern) bit to trim it to the finish size".

What does a bearting pattern bit look like? Have you got any links to online shop that sell these so that I can have a look at what you mean.

Peter

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)