What is the Difference between 6000 series aluminium and 7000 series

Thread: What is the Difference between 6000 series aluminium and 7000 series

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default What is the Difference between 6000 series aluminium and 7000 series

Hello everyone

I just wanted to ask anyone who can help me out and tell me the difference in machining 7000 series aluminium and 6000 series.

Job is 7000 series material 3000mm x 2000 x 90mm thick

Heve to cut a profile with a 50mm cutter hoping for 10mm depth of cut.

Does 7000 series machine different to 6000 series

Is it easier or harder to machine.

If you have any suggestions please e-mail me kosta@ncprecisiontooling.com

Thanks guys

Kosta

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Kosta,

7 series is much harder than 6 series and more difficult to machine - to a certain point. The thing is that it's so hard (for aluminum) that chips don't generally stick to the endmill like 6 would.

You can check out the specs, might answer your questions. BTW, that site has an amazing amount of information on different metals and alloys - it's got a buttom on my browser so I have it for quick reference.

JR

Downloads
    Uploads

The 7000 series is a higher strength alloy than the 6000 series and contains larger amounts of zinc & magnesium. In general, aluminum such as 7075-t6 does not require heat treating after welding.

The 7000 series is a little tougher to machine compared to 6000 and tends to be more free machining. It is not as ductile. When machining any aluminum you do not want the chips to stick to the endmill. If you have a problem with that it could be feerates too slow, rpm too fast, wrong number of flutes (too many) when slotting/pocketing (chips not evacuating), depth of cut too deep, or lack of lubrication/coolant.

7000 series corrodes more easily than 6000 and will discolor quickly when using synthetic coolants.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

..old but very usable tip : use alcohol as cutting liquid...no chipping problem after that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    The 7000 series is a higher strength alloy than the 6000 series and contains larger amounts of zinc & magnesium. In general, aluminum such as 7075-t6 does not require heat treating after welding.

The 7000 series is a little tougher to machine compared to 6000 and tends to be more free machining. It is not as ductile. When machining any aluminum you do not want the chips to stick to the endmill. If you have a problem with that it could be feerates too slow, rpm too fast, wrong number of flutes (too many) when slotting/pocketing (chips not evacuating), depth of cut too deep, or lack of lubrication/coolant.

7000 series corrodes more easily than 6000 and will discolor quickly when using synthetic coolants.
    You CAN NOT WELD 7075 aluminum.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.