Need Help! Recommend a mill bit please.......

Thread: Recommend a mill bit please.......

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Recommend a mill bit please.......

Hello

I am searching for the proper type of mill bit to most efficiently perform a profile operation on 6061 aluminum.
    Said job is as follows; Stock measures;1.5" x 3". It's a profile operation with a cutting depth of -1.5". I need to make 20(ea) of them

My initial thoughts are to run an .5" end mill around the profile to -1.5" depth then perform the same operation using a .1875 end mill to remove the remaining material. The way I see it, load on the end mill will primarily be in the -z direction. I'm thinking 2 flute HSS. Down cut? Thanks to all who respond.

Jerry

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Recommend a mill bit please.......-profile-operation-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Recommend a mill bit please.......

It really depends on your machine. I would use a 3 flute, 1/2'' aluminum rougher to remove as much material as possible. Use an adaptive clearing cutting strategy, if your machine will take it, DOC should be about 3/4'' for the roughing passes.

Do not use a down cut bit, you need to clear the chips. Flood coolant would be the best, but a good spray mist would work.

Most of the load on the tool is radial, not axial.

Pre-drill where the 0.093 radii will be to reduce the cutting load on the 3/16 endmill in the corners. If possible, make the radii at least 0.100 to reduce the contact area of the 3/16 endmill as it cuts into the corners. 1.5'' is a large DOC for a 3/16 endmill, I would use an endmill with a relieved shank and about 1/4 inch of cutting length, then spiral down for the finish passes.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Recommend a mill bit please.......

Hi Jim

Thanks for the advice!

Jerry