run g-code in inches on Laguna machine set for MM?

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: run g-code in inches on Laguna machine set for MM?

  1. #1
    Registered
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    33
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default run g-code in inches on Laguna machine set for MM?

    I have a bunch of g-code files that are formatted in Inches. I run them on Mach3.

    I'd like to join a co-op that uses a Laguna machine. It seems to be set up for MM.

    I did a quick test and renamed a .nc file to .mmg. After some fussing with the origin, we did get it to run, but it barely moved the cutter.

    So afterward, it looks like the machine is set for mm.

    Is there a setting to just tell it to run in inches?

    I have a program that I could use to convert my files, but that would take a long time to do them all.

    Any ideas?

    Chris

    Similar Threads:


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10279
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: run g-code in inches on Laguna machine set for MM?

    Quote Originally Posted by chris2112 View Post
    I have a bunch of g-code files that are formatted in Inches. I run them on Mach3.

    I'd like to join a co-op that uses a Laguna machine. It seems to be set up for MM.

    I did a quick test and renamed a .nc file to .mmg. After some fussing with the origin, we did get it to run, but it barely moved the cutter.

    So afterward, it looks like the machine is set for mm.

    Is there a setting to just tell it to run in inches?

    I have a program that I could use to convert my files, but that would take a long time to do them all.

    Any ideas?

    Chris
    Its very simple all you have to do is add a G20 for inch and G21 for metric, at the start of the program, this tells the control that you want to run a program that is formatted in inches=G20

    Mactec54


  3. #3
    Registered
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    33
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: run g-code in inches on Laguna machine set for MM?

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Its very simple all you have to do is add a G20 for inch and G21 for metric, at the start of the program, this tells the control that you want to run a program that is formatted in inches=G20
    Hmmm. I think I have that. So the beginning of my code is:

    N10 G20
    N20 G0 G17 G40 G49 G80 G90
    N30 G64
    N40 (first body - ZERO Xtra deep pocket)
    N70 S10000 M03
    N80 G01 X20.5963 Y11.8868 Z0.25 f50.0
    N90 G01 Z-0.2275


    The beginning of a sample from the shop is:

    (Filename: V-Carve 1)
    N10M03S16000
    N20G00X-23.524Y-54.217Z5.080
    N30G1Z-5.080F508.0
    N40G1X-23.040F1270.0
    N50G1Y23.289
    N60G2X-20.107Y26.222I2.933J0.000
    N70G1X5.525


    I thought that S16000 was the speed, but 1600 would be more like 65 inches, which is in the range. But this is 650 inches. So maybe something else is up?

    Last edited by chris2112; 07-02-2018 at 11:08 AM. Reason: posted too soon


  4. #4
    Community Moderator ger21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Shelby Township
    Posts
    34520
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: run g-code in inches on Laguna machine set for MM?

    S16000 is the RPM.

    Use find and replace to change all the F commands, which are the feedrates. Multiply them by 25.4.


    However, depending onthe type of Laguna, it may not support G20/G21. I think the Laguna Swift may be metric only.

    Gerry

    UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

    Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

    JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)


  5. #5
    Registered
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    33
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: run g-code in inches on Laguna machine set for MM?

    So if the code I tried with the G20 ran in mm, then I'm probably stuck there.

    On my machine, I use a manual switch on the router to set the RPM. So I'll need to add that to each file.

    I'll try that, change by feed rates, and convert to mm and see if it works.

    Bummer some are metric only. What a pain. I think I have 1,000s of files. I use 25 or so most of the time though.

    Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    S16000 is the RPM.

    Use find and replace to change all the F commands, which are the feedrates. Multiply them by 25.4.


    However, depending onthe type of Laguna, it may not support G20/G21. I think the Laguna Swift may be metric only.




  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10279
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: run g-code in inches on Laguna machine set for MM?

    Quote Originally Posted by chris2112 View Post
    Hmmm. I think I have that. So the beginning of my code is:

    N10 G20
    N20 G0 G17 G40 G49 G80 G90
    N30 G64
    N40 (first body - ZERO Xtra deep pocket)
    N70 S10000 M03
    N80 G01 X20.5963 Y11.8868 Z0.25 f50.0
    N90 G01 Z-0.2275


    The beginning of a sample from the shop is:

    (Filename: V-Carve 1)
    N10M03S16000
    N20G00X-23.524Y-54.217Z5.080
    N30G1Z-5.080F508.0
    N40G1X-23.040F1270.0
    N50G1Y23.289
    N60G2X-20.107Y26.222I2.933J0.000
    N70G1X5.525


    I thought that S16000 was the speed, but 1600 would be more like 65 inches, which is in the range. But this is 650 inches. So maybe something else is up?
    Look up the spec's for the control to see which codes the control excepts most will do both

    If you Program is Witten like above the F would not be recognized, it can not be lower case you have ( f ) for feed, it has to be ( F ) your Feed rate is F50. which is 50IPM

    The M3S1600 is your spindle speed

    Is the V carve-1 program in inches or for metric, if it is for inches then your feed rate would be way to fast at F508.

    Mactec54


  7. #7
    Registered
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    33
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: run g-code in inches on Laguna machine set for MM?

    The top code works fine in Mach3. That is what I have been using. The bottom is a Laquana compatible example. Good point though if a generic controller like caps.

    I see the spindle speed command now. I'll need to add those.

    I read the older controllers use G70 for inches. I'll try that.

    The info on the controller I was able to get is that it is a "Laguna IQ HHC". I'm not sure on anything Laguana. I know Mach3 well though, at least for what I do.

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Look up the spec's for the control to see which codes the control excepts most will do both

    If you Program is Witten like above the F would not be recognized, it can not be lower case you have ( f ) for feed, it has to be ( F ) your Feed rate is F50. which is 50IPM

    The M3S1600 is your spindle speed

    Is the V carve-1 program in inches or for metric, if it is for inches then your feed rate would be way to fast at F508.




  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10279
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: run g-code in inches on Laguna machine set for MM?

    Quote Originally Posted by chris2112 View Post
    The top code works fine in Mach3. That is what I have been using. The bottom is a Laquana compatible example. Good point though if a generic controller like caps.

    I see the spindle speed command now. I'll need to add those.

    I read the older controllers use G70 for inches. I'll try that.

    The info on the controller I was able to get is that it is a "Laguna IQ HHC". I'm not sure on anything Laguana. I know Mach3 well though, at least for what I do.
    No G70 would not be used for anything in your control, I believe that they are Metric only, but without a G Code list that your control uses, it hard to say if it will do both with just a code change, someone I know has one and he will know what it can do

    Mactec54


  9. #9
    Registered
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    33
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: run g-code in inches on Laguna machine set for MM?

    So I did find out that this machine only runs metric, in mm. I have en editor that I used to convert my code. I can do a "scale" on all 3 axis by 25.4 That seemed to work on the first program. The beginning is posted above. I tested that code, then converted the rest.

    So I went back today, and only the first program works. The rest say "out of range" or something like that. I have 8 I need to run to make a guitar.

    I checked them in Mach 3 and noticed the next programs still had the G21. I figured the laguana would run metric no matter what but maybe this needs to change to g20 like the first one?

    I'm not totally familiar with the Laguana. I'm pretty sure we did a ref-home, then set what mach calls an "offset" to get it in range. Then the next programs should have been aligned with each other.

    It is an hour commute to this place, so I'd like to have more than one thing to try.

    Any ideas?



  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    73
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: run g-code in inches on Laguna machine set for MM?

    I run an inch post on my Laguna IQ and it works fine. All you need to do is change the post to call Feed rates in metric..

    N2 (Filename: .236 Rough)
    N3 (Saturday August 04 2018 08:01 AM)
    N4 (Machine: Laguna IQ HHC)
    N5 (Material Size)
    N6 (X= 24.000, Y= 12.000, Z= 0.260)
    N7 (.236 End Mill)
    N8 G90
    N9 G20
    N10 G00 Z2.000
    N11 M03 S18000
    N12 G00 X3.459 Y4.438
    N13 Z0.100
    N14 G01 Z-0.060 F1270.0
    N15 X3.387 Y4.455 F1524.0
    N16 X3.364 Y4.417
    N17 X3.459 Y4.438
    N18 X3.478 Y4.530
    N19 X3.413 Y4.545
    N20 X3.342 Y4.565
    N21 X3.174 Y4.277
    N22 X4.133 Y4.494
    N23 X4.082 Y4.489



  11. #11
    Community Moderator ger21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Shelby Township
    Posts
    34520
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: run g-code in inches on Laguna machine set for MM?

    I was helping a Laguna user recently, and found out that it would run G0 and G1 moves in inches, but not G2/G3 moves. It seems to autodetect inch units and work properly, but not with arcs.

    Gerry

    UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

    Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

    JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)


  12. #12
    Registered
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    33
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: run g-code in inches on Laguna machine set for MM?

    I tried the g20. I didn't work. The laguana support said it was metric only, but he didn't seem very sharp. I'll try your entire header, but I doubt it. The conversion works, but is a pain. Chris

    Quote Originally Posted by cbr_speedster View Post
    I run an inch post on my Laguna IQ and it works fine. All you need to do is change the post to call Feed rates in metric..

    N2 (Filename: .236 Rough)
    N3 (Saturday August 04 2018 08:01 AM)
    N4 (Machine: Laguna IQ HHC)
    N5 (Material Size)
    N6 (X= 24.000, Y= 12.000, Z= 0.260)
    N7 (.236 End Mill)
    N8 G90
    N9 G20
    N10 G00 Z2.000
    N11 M03 S18000
    N12 G00 X3.459 Y4.438
    N13 Z0.100
    N14 G01 Z-0.060 F1270.0
    N15 X3.387 Y4.455 F1524.0
    N16 X3.364 Y4.417
    N17 X3.459 Y4.438
    N18 X3.478 Y4.530
    N19 X3.413 Y4.545
    N20 X3.342 Y4.565
    N21 X3.174 Y4.277
    N22 X4.133 Y4.494
    N23 X4.082 Y4.489




Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

run g-code in inches on Laguna machine set for MM?

run g-code in inches on Laguna machine set for MM?

run g-code in inches on Laguna machine set for MM?