Need Help! Is anyone laser cutting polycarbonate

Thread: Is anyone laser cutting polycarbonate

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Angry Is anyone laser cutting polycarbonate

I have a 1500 watt mazak laser and have a job that requires .220 polycarb sheet. I have cut acrylic with great success. My problem is I can't get the smooth edge on the polycarb that I get when I cut the acrylic. I also get some browning on the edge but I can live with that. Any ideas will be helpful. I have tryed more speed less speed ,more power less power, more nitrogen less nitrogen(I am using nitrogen as my assist gas, tip no tip,lowered focal postion. Has anybody else had any experience with this? Thank You in advance for your help.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Try freezing the sheet first to cut down on edge melt.

Hi-TecDesigns.com -- Automotive Lighting Systems

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Psi For Fun View Post
    I have a 1500 watt mazak laser and have a job that requires .220 polycarb sheet. I have cut acrylic with great success. My problem is I can't get the smooth edge on the polycarb that I get when I cut the acrylic. I also get some browning on the edge but I can live with that. Any ideas will be helpful. I have tryed more speed less speed ,more power less power, more nitrogen less nitrogen(I am using nitrogen as my assist gas, tip no tip,lowered focal postion. Has anybody else had any experience with this? Thank You in advance for your help.

We cut at 2-3 in/sec with 40-60 PSI with 50% ( of 200W). If you edge quality is not shiny reduce you air pressure. Ensure your PPI or Pulsing is set greater than 1000 PPI or a fix frequency above 2Khz. The browning on the edge you cannot get rid of it. It due to the composition of the polycarb. I've notice higher quality optical grade polycarbs do not yellow as much.

Chris

Last edited by technazz; 07-08-2009 at 08:01 AM. Reason: added comment about yellowing

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

.220 is kind of a heavy gauge to cut on any machine. i have a 2000 watt cinncuinati cl6 and ahve been cutting all kinds of strange materials( poly carb, delrin and even sheet mica) and most have been a thinner gauge, the thickest being probly 125. it could be just that your machine isnt capable of making the cut, id try to lower the focus more, increase the gas and slow the speed down?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by phildo View Post
    .220 is kind of a heavy gauge to cut on any machine. i have a 2000 watt cinncuinati cl6 and ahve been cutting all kinds of strange materials( poly carb, delrin and even sheet mica) and most have been a thinner gauge, the thickest being probly 125. it could be just that your machine isnt capable of making the cut, id try to lower the focus more, increase the gas and slow the speed down?

No. you are out of you mind. at the last company I worked for we had 3 3500w mit's that would kinda cut 1/2 steel but they would brezze through 1.5" poly (only used about 1800w) and yes it did get a yellow tint on the edge and a little tapper in it but it did cut it.

Kyle

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

no. you sir are out of your mind my friend. if you had a 3500 and could "kinda" cut .500 hrpo, then apparently you hadnt a clue what your doing.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've cut 1/4 Poly with my 30 watt CO2 and it has the same dark edge you talk about and I was cutting at 0.1 ips. I think I would tend to reduce the assist gas pressure but not enough so that the lens clogs up and see how that pans out.
    I stinks a lot too. :-)

I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example.

Default Re: Is anyone laser cutting polycarbonate

I'm in a pinch and need a post processor for a DMG Mori NLX2500SY with sub spindle. SolidCAM is currently 4-6 weeks out and I need to start ASAP on a part order. I'm not sure why they don't have a basic off-the-shelf post for this machine they can provide.

blake@caglemachine.com penalty kick online