Newbie Newbie needs help! cutting acrylic, and double cutting? 3040 machine

Thread: Newbie needs help! cutting acrylic, and double cutting? 3040 machine

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Newbie needs help! cutting acrylic, and double cutting? 3040 machine

Hi all, I recently received a 3040 laser cutter/engraver and i'm just trying to get use to using it, and getting it to run correctly.

I have aligned the mirrors as best i can (took me hours) and have managed to cut some cereal packet card with power=5, speed=35. Had a few problems with the card setting alight, but i think i've figured it out, do these settings sound alright?

Now i'm trying to cut 3mm acylic. Can anybody let me know what power and speed settings they use for this? I jus can't seem to figure it out. When i get it to cut right through, the edges are kind of melted and not good.

The other thing i'm worried about is that occasionally when i try to cut, there will be one line as expected, and then another fainter line engraved about 5mm away from it, anyone know what might be causing this?

I am completely new to all this, so any hints and tips are welcome!

Thanks guys.
    x

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 3mm acrylic.

Saw acquaintance laser cutting (literally tons) acrylic yesterday.
    I asked id he use air, and he said just enough to stop it catching fire.
    Underside supports were made from plastic. Metal points got hot and damaged underside.

Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. THREE ways to fix things: The RIGHT way, the OTHER way, and maybe YOUR way, which is possibly a FASTER WRONG WAY!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by stephaniehamer View Post
    Hi all, I recently received a 3040 laser cutter/engraver and i'm just trying to get use to using it, and getting it to run correctly.

I have aligned the mirrors as best i can (took me hours) and have managed to cut some cereal packet card with power=5, speed=35. Had a few problems with the card setting alight, but i think i've figured it out, do these settings sound alright?

Now i'm trying to cut 3mm acylic. Can anybody let me know what power and speed settings they use for this? I jus can't seem to figure it out. When i get it to cut right through, the edges are kind of melted and not good.

The other thing i'm worried about is that occasionally when i try to cut, there will be one line as expected, and then another fainter line engraved about 5mm away from it, anyone know what might be causing this?

I am completely new to all this, so any hints and tips are welcome!

Thanks guys.
    x
    Hi Stephanie,

Do you have an air assist cone on the laser head?

I have seen this when the beam is not aligned correctly through the last mirror. It exits the focussing lens off-centre and reflects off the side of the air assist cone.

Regards

Dave.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think she was asking about speed and power settings for 3mm acrylic. I don't have a 3040 so could someone suggest a setting to try?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

When the laser beam is correctly straight, you can set the power bigger, becasue you want to cut the acrylic, you have to set the power bigger, and speed slower.
    -----------------------
    www.roc-tech.net

Last edited by roctech; 06-29-2009 at 04:46 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Check that you've got the material at the right height so that the laser is focussed on the top surface of the material?

dvdlock might be on the right track with this and in the same way that you put things over the mirrors to see where the beam was hitting them, you can remove the 45 degree mirror on the head (and put something in it's place) to check where that is being hit, and over the bottom end of the head (take the lens out first) to see where it's going down there.