Need Help! With cutting a shape from a bipmap image

Thread: With cutting a shape from a bipmap image

Downloads
    Uploads

Default With cutting a shape from a bipmap image

Hi all,

I am using a Rabbit 4060 40W machine with LaserCut5.1.

I have had the machine a few months now and have focused mainly on engraving images.

I now want to cut some shapes from Acrylic. This hasn't been a problem using the various functions in LaserCut 5.1. However, I would like to us a scanned image for the shape.

I scanned a small image into my editing software (attached) tidied it up a bit and converted it to a bitmap as I would with an image for engraving.

With this file now open in Lasercut I can't seem to find a way to cut it out. I would appreciate if anyone could guide me through how to do this.

Many thanks

Dave.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by dvdlock; 11-15-2008 at 06:55 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dave,

Do you have a vector drawing program like CorelDraw? If so, you would import the bitmap into Corel and either manually draw a vector around the object, or use the trace function to create a vector.

Here's a zipped .ai file of that picture you posted. It's not perfect and I don't know if the size is correct, but after you import this into LaserCut, you should be able to adjust the size.

Actually now that I think about it, you can draw vectors with LaserCut also. Import your bitmap and use the LaserCut vector tools to make a vector around it, (I think... I don't have it right here in front of me.) then delete the bitmap.

Hope that helps,
    Skip

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SkipW View Post
    Dave,

Do you have a vector drawing program like CorelDraw? If so, you would import the bitmap into Corel and either manually draw a vector around the object, or use the trace function to create a vector.

Here's a zipped .ai file of that picture you posted. It's not perfect and I don't know if the size is correct, but after you import this into LaserCut, you should be able to adjust the size.

Actually now that I think about it, you can draw vectors with LaserCut also. Import your bitmap and use the LaserCut vector tools to make a vector around it, (I think... I don't have it right here in front of me.) then delete the bitmap.

Hope that helps,
    Skip
    Hi Skip,

Many thank for the response and the advice.

As it happens I do have Corel Draw. I have to go out right now but i'll give it a go later and let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the file, I'll try that first.

Regards

Dave.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SkipW View Post
    Dave,

Hope that helps,
    Skip
    Hi Skip,

Didn't get chance to try the cutting yesterday but I have just finished testing today.

It worked a treat, many thanks for your advice and the file you kindly did for me.

It turns out that part of my Corel Draw package was Corel Trace. So all I need now is a bit of practice with the software and I should be good to go.

Many thanks again

Dave.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Most welcome Dave. Glad that worked for you.

Corel trace is fairly good but you usually have to do a little tweaking with the results. Like tracing that ornament picture you posted, you would probably end up with an inner and outer line if you view the trace in simple wireframe view in Corel. If so, you would select all and ungroup the drawing and just delete the inner line, and use the Object Properties manager to make sure the line is set to Hairline for vector cutting. Then do a "Save As" and choose AI - Adobe Illustrator so you can import it into LaserCut.

I'm not sure about LaserCut 5.1 but with my LC 5.0 it likes me to save vectors as Adobe Illustrator version 7.

Happy cutting!
    Skip

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting. I have to do similar conversions with some of my work and was put onto TraceArt as a raster/vector convertor - it is a very basic programme but achieves very good results - it appears easy to use and has a good tutorial package and is only about $80 US. You can download it and use it free and generate dxf files with their logo spread across it - the logos disappear when you pay for it - it is worth checking out for a play. My contact who is using it all the time tells me it takes a 1/4 of the time he would normally take to import and trace.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by avetek View Post
    Interesting. I have to do similar conversions with some of my work and was put onto TraceArt as a raster/vector convertor - it is a very basic programme but achieves very good results - it appears easy to use and has a good tutorial package and is only about $80 US. You can download it and use it free and generate dxf files with their logo spread across it - the logos disappear when you pay for it - it is worth checking out for a play. My contact who is using it all the time tells me it takes a 1/4 of the time he would normally take to import and trace.
    Thanks for the info, avetek.

How does that work with the demo program and the logo spread across a dxf? Is the logo a raster or vector? Why couldn't you import the dxf into Corel and remove the logo? Not that anyone would do that, it just seems like it would be easy to get around that.

Skip

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The logo is a vector and can easily be deleted ,as you say, in Corel Draw or Autocad - given that it is only an $80 dollar programme it is no big deal. Pay the money and it goes away - Other than that the programme has full functionality - Download it and give it a go, I was quite impressed.