My Cheap engraving with Diode from Cd_burner (videos)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Cheap engraving with Diode from Cd_burner (videos)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default My Cheap engraving with Diode from Cd_burner (videos)

I put an IR Laser from CD Burner on my CNC.

I did this CNC on my vacation using Step motor from NIMA old printers and othes stuffs.
    Normaly I use with a dremel (similar) to milling acrylics.
    There ar others videos in my Youtube Channel.. take a look.

The diode runs at +/- 105 mA.

The power output of diode laser (no matter the color) is P=I*V as some ppl says ?
    I don´t belive because there is some heat loss. Right?

Videos: U-tube

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAjRxIl2_bA"]YouTube - IR Laser (from cd_burner) CNC 2

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV2s9uqpfxM"]YouTube - IR Laser (from cd_burner) CNC 2

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Cheap engraving with Diode from Cd_burner (videos)-cnc_laser_fredasp-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fr3d- View Post
    The power output of diode laser (no matter the color) is P=I*V as some ppl says ?
    P=IV is the standard equation for power in general, not just diodes. That does not mean, however, that all of that power is going into the material being lased. In fact, that laser diode is only a few percent efficient, so you probably only have 5-10% of your power being turned into light. I can't see what kind of optics you have set up, but obviously it's enough to focus the spot small enough to burn (it's all about power density, not just power).

You're probably in the 800-900nm range as far as the wavelength goes, right in the area of YAG lasers.

Hi-TecDesigns.com -- Automotive Lighting Systems

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

Neat as heck. Please post some more details on how you did this.
    Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation Be careful!

I hope you have laser safety glasses on! Since the laser has enough power to melt plastic I think it could blind you easily too! Don't forget reflected light also.
    Lasers can blind you easy!

The DVD drive should have had a yellow sticker stating the class of laser, the wavelength, and the power of the laser diode in milli watts (mW). Do you remember what it is?

Pretty neat project.

Ferny.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's in amazingly awesome!!! Please, can you post details/plans on how to build one of these????

Thanks,
    Wade

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

wwendorf: What u wanna know ? Is about CNC or Laser?
    The CNC is simple, all u need you find here in this forum... and about the laser, you find here in this post: http://www.laserpointerforums.com/fo...num=1185701612

Ferny: "I hope you have laser safety glasses on!" - I´m sorry... I´m not. hehe
    But I take care. At leat I use a sunglass. Better than nothing, or not...
    I´m looking for one. Do you know a good site ? Or only ebay ?
    About the yellow sticker, I will take a look after.

Downloads
    Uploads

No, cnc i'm good with. Electronics are a bit of mystery for me, but I can build then from exact plans. I looked over the link you posted, but i'm afraid my knowledge is not enough to attempt the build of the laser driver myself. Do you have to build optics as well??

Would you considering building one for me, and if so, how much???

If you aren't interested in building one, would you possibly be able to post some sort of a build log or step by step instructions on how to make a laser driver on this forum?

Thanks much,
    Wade

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

wwendorf: To your luck, I found this video:
    "http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1011559/diy_how_to_make_a_laser_diode_driver_circuit/"]DIY: How To Make A Laser Diode Driver Circuit

That´s the same circuit.

Fred.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice! Thanks Fr3d! I'm going to build one of these drivers. That video really explains a lot. Much appreciated!

Wade

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

A really first rate job on the diagrams, you covered all levels of skill.:rainfro::rainfro:

Everyone needs to remember the dangers of even low power lasers. WEAR protective eye coverings.

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Fr3d- View Post
    I put an IR Laser from CD Burner on my CNC.

I did this CNC on my vacation using Step motor from NIMA old printers and othes stuffs.
    Normaly I use with a dremel (similar) to milling acrylics.
    There ar others videos in my Youtube Channel.. take a look.

The diode runs at +/- 105 mA.

Videos: U-tube

What is the material being cut?

What would be required to focus the beam to a finer point?

I can see this being a very nice woodburning tool for putting designs in wood.

Good job.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default A few notes on the above cct

He doesn't say this in the video, but it's important to make sure you have the polarity of the diode correct. The strip on it indicates the cathode side, and it should be pointing toward the positive side of the circuit. The capacitor has a stripe on it. This is the negative side of the capacitor. It should be pointed to the negative side of the circuit. The resistors are 1/2 watt 10 Ohm resistors, and they are wired side by side (parallel). All of the parts in the video can be had from radio shack.

The diagram that he shows at the end of the video is mislabeled. It calls for a single 4 ohm resistor, the pins of the LM317 are ordered wrong, and it uses a 100 ohm pot. This will work as it is drawn but if you don't know electronics it can be confusing. Use the one, I post below.

When soldering on your laser diode, it's a good idea to use a copper alligator clip at the base of the pin when soldering to sink some of the heat away from the Laser diode. Too much heat is a MAJOR factor in killing these things. It's also a good idea to get a tiny glob of solder on your wire BEFORE hand. This is called tinning the wire, and helps you solder the wire to the diode faster, reducing the amount of time to solder it and hence heat buildup on the diode itself. It's also a good idea to do the positive one first, let it cool then do the negative one.

Now on to the placement of the components in the video. He put the resistors in before the potentiometer, which is wrong. The resistors are there to protect the diode in the event that you turn the resistance all the way down, and hence the voltage all the way up with the potentiometer. The circuit will still work, just differently. The way he has it set up, the amount of voltage the pot sees is lower, hence the amount he's controlling with the pot is lower over all. This will work, but the total amount of voltage is still high enough to fry the laser diode so it's not really the best way.

About the potentiometer. It does not matter which leg you connect to the common ground pin on the pot. It will simply change the direction that you have to turn it in order to turn up the resistance. It's always best to check it out on a multimeter on the Ohm setting. Wall mart sells cheap, good auto ranging multimeters for general purpose electronics in the automotive section.

I have labelled the diagram at the very end of the video for you to use.

Just a quick note on this whole project, always watch your voltage, and heat when working with Laser diodes. Take all precautions. Always drain your cap, etc, etc.

My Cheap engraving with Diode from Cd_burner (videos)-prototype_001-png

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

.. duplicate

Last edited by gn0stik; 02-29-2008 at 04:47 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My question about this, was the construction of your table. Do you have plans etc? I would like to make a nice looking table like that, which looks rather sturdy, metal construction, etc. Did you rob parts from something order to accomplish this?

I know that some use furniture/drawer slides for the sliders, but are there square frames of metal that can be robbed from something else for use as the table frames, etc.

Or did you weld that up yourself?

Or, is there a place to purchase a ready welded frame like this for cheap?

I'm not simply asking fred, btw, anyone is welcome to give advice on this. Although I am interested in his response.

I don't really have questions about the stepper drivers or anything yet, or computer software, etc (I'm not there yet).

But I'm sure I will later on.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi-TecDesigns.com -- Automotive Lighting Systems

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can you provide some detail on how you interfaced the driver with your BOB and software? Are you using Mach3?

Great thread!

Best regards,
    Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice little laser.
    Why are you wasting time moving the Z up/down?
    Just move X-Y, take out the Z movement.
    Set you Z to focus & go.

Skip20

Downloads
    Uploads

Great idea.

How do you turn the laser off between burn moves?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

"How do you turn the laser off between burn moves?"

Manually... but I´ll do a drive for it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very interesting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast