Thread: Lasers, costs in doing business

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Lasers, costs in doing business

To: CO2 Laser Tube Users

Re: Laser Tube and Power Supply Frustration

Dear Users:

Both the forum mail and my personal mail have been loaded with questions and problems with China tubes and power supplies. Along with quality control issues, and salesmen leaving their customers in the dark.

I wish I had a better answer than the one I'm going to give. YOU get what you pay for... The laser business is a very expensive business. If you want to purchase tubes for $500, the business that is selling them is going out of business if not already gone. Most likely they will set up shop once again, under a new name and play the same game.

Many of you talk about spare parts for your engravers, tubes, powers supplies etc.. Support for your unit is now getting more expensive and costs are rising for overseas shipments. I think your in for a rude awakening, nothing comes for free.

I was speaking with a friend of mine the other day from Photovac Laser, Grove City, Ohio. He mentioned if the manufacture would have a US base for spare parts and tubes, things might work out better in the customer relations department. I suggested my friend contact the China manufactures and offer his company services. I think your suggestions as "users' would also be helpful.

Keep your questions coming.

The Laser Doctor.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Doctor View Post
    To: CO2 Laser Tube Users

Re: Laser Tube and Power Supply Frustration

Dear Users:

Both the forum mail and my personal mail have been loaded with questions and problems with China tubes and power supplies. Along with quality control issues, and salesmen leaving their customers in the dark.

I wish I had a better answer than the one I'm going to give. YOU get what you pay for... The laser business is a very expensive business. If you want to purchase tubes for $500, the business that is selling them is going out of business if not already gone. Most likely they will set up shop once again, under a new name and play the same game.

Many of you talk about spare parts for your engravers, tubes, powers supplies etc.. Support for your unit is now getting more expensive and costs are rising for overseas shipments. I think your in for a rude awakening, nothing comes for free.

I was speaking with a friend of mine the other day from Photovac Laser, Grove City, Ohio. He mentioned if the manufacture would have a US base for spare parts and tubes, things might work out better in the customer relations department. I suggested my friend contact the China manufactures and offer his company services. I think your suggestions as "users' would also be helpful.

Keep your questions coming.

The Laser Doctor.
    Hi Doc,

Can't problems be avoided by purchasing from a reputable company? I guess that's pretty obvious though. I chose to buy a laser from WKLaser because of the customer feedback on this forum. I have yet to read anything negative about them, and my experiences with the company and Jack Yin have been great. I got what I payed for, a very good machine for a fantastic price, and very good customer service.

Support for my unit is getting more expensive? How so? Not compared to the price of a Universal or Epilog. I know, that's like comparing apples to oranges, but these are pretty sweet oranges for those who can't afford the big red juicy apples. You just have to buy them at the right market.

I'm a one man shop and the only rude awakening for me was that I couldn't afford an American made machine. Sad, but true.

I would like to see Chris at Photovac Laser stock some spare parts for emergencies though. But there again, he will be selling them at probably 3 times the cost of buying direct. Costs for overseas shipments are still a bargain compared to that.

I plan on having Photovac regas my tube when it dies. Last I knew they charged $1200.00 and guarantee it for a year, but Chris said it will probably last 2 years. That would be worth the cost.

Bottom line is to buy from a company that does give you what you pay for, and I would recommend WKLaser to anyone. If you are a small business like myself and want a cost effective way to offer more services and hopefully generate more income, and get good after sales service, get a quote from Jack.

This has just been my opinion, and we all know what they say about those.

Skip

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

First, I'd like to mention that Epilog has announced that their tubes have dropped in price. Last time I replaced my 45 watt it was $2,300, current price is $1,200.

My laser cost $16,000 new, and in 3+ years I have spent approximately $2,700 on replacement parts since the warranty expired.

The equivalent Chinese laser (in power and work area size) can be purchased for about $4,000, and one could replace a lot of it's parts for that same $2,700 with the tubes selling at $300. The main problem is support and shipping from China. I happen to know of an importer of Chinese products who is in the process of setting up to sell lasers. He is addressing many of the issues with the laser features and trying to negotiate custom changes in the manufacturing of the lasers to make them closer to the US made lasers in performance and convenience.

If it works out, he will be stocking them and parts in the US, and will assemble a support team. With other items he currently sells, the products and parts are shipped to him regularly by container so he has no problems getting things here. When a part is needed by a customer he has many of them on the shelf ready to go. Once a business is up and running it cannot afford a lot of down time waiting for a delivery from overseas, it's going to cost them customers.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I too have been very happy with the Chinese "Rabbit" laser I purchased through Frank Fang. I am a hobbyist hoping to build a small part time business and there is no way I could ever afford one of the big name machines. For under $2500 including shipping, customs and an extra tube, I have a nice little unit that has worked well. I am having some problems learning to set up program to start in a certain position each time but other than that I am extremely happy! Whenever I have had a question Frank answers me immediately (I don't think he ever sleeps) and I understand he and someone else in the states is now carrying the laser tubes and I think also the equipment. Information from another thread.

IF I could have afforded an Epilog or Universal just how much better service would I have in Hawaii? Would someone come here to trouble-shoot my machine (at no cost to me) if something were wrong? What about training? I understand that can be provided in the mainland, but I don't live there. Also shipping here is prohibitive so that could be a problem as well. I did a lot of research here before I bought this machine and I used my credit card via paypal because I was assured I would be protected. I didn't need it, but it was worth a small surcharge for peace of mind.

So I did get what I paid for and have been very happy! Now all I need is time to really learn to use it!

Jacqui, Goddess of Chaos, GSOLFOT