Buy expensive or update 3018?

Thread: Buy expensive or update 3018?

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Buy expensive or update 3018?

Hi I am new to this laser CNC industry coming from a software background.

I recently bought a standard 3018 CNC Machine and purchased a 5.5Watt laser module to get my foot in into the laser engraving/cutting industry however I soon realised that I am a bit limited in what I can do relative to the more expensive machines such as xTool D1 Pro etc.

I would like more cutting depths both in wood and acrylic.

I notice though that the main difference between these expensive machines and mine is that 20Watt optical power relative to my 5.5Watt.

This leads me to the question that if I only upgrade my laser power to 20Watts I would save myself a lot of money as I should be able to do pretty much everything those expensive ones can. The only thing missing are the rotary turntables and Air assist which I can also add much more cheaply.

Can somebody please tell me if I am overlooking anything?

Many thanks.

Stephen.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Buy expensive or update 3018?

Hi kabs,

Both machines are essentially toys. If your intent is "to get my foot in into the laser engraving/cutting industry” you will need to focus on a completely different class of machines. If you just want to have fun I would suggest going with the cheaper model.