Hi There,

I am looking to create a material library for my laser cutter. I have access to a ULS (universal laser systems) as well as a desktop DIY laser Class 1 laser that I rarely use. I want to do my own material tests and slightly confused with the process. Online, it seems that everyone is using lightburn software, which I don't have. I am using the software that is included in with the laser.

What would an experienced laser operator recommend for tests? Would I create a grid cut and engraving chart with power/speed settings that shows the gradual difference, my question is how do you consider the PPI settings? I'm slightly confused on how to do this. I'm thinking that I pick the average PPI and then increasing the power & speed in unison by increments of 10 for power and speed. After I figure this out, I will make a grid and try the same with PPI? Does this make sense?

I have found templates online but again I am confused if they are only trying one setting at a time ie. power 24% speed 5 on each individual card.https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:728579

For the engraving on the above template are they just printing using one setting? I am confused with the % in the engraving chart

Any help is apprecieated.