Need Help! ULS M30 resurrection?

Thread: ULS M30 resurrection?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default ULS M30 resurrection?

Hello all,
    LONG time lurker, but now I have a project.
    I just got an old M30 laser. I'm told it "doesn't work", but not specifically what doesn't work. It powers up, but the display contrast is unreadable. The alignment laser works, the optics are good, and all of the motors/flying hardware are in good shape. X and Y jogging are good. The Z drive gear seems to be stripped on the motor shaft - Only one side of the table goes up/down.
    I'm looking to upgrade the controls and possibly having the laser module recharged - but I need a little more detail on what I'm working with. I've built a number of 3D printers and CNC routers in the past, so I'm familiar with motion controls, stepper drivers, etc. So even with its age, I feel like these are some good bones to work with to get a laser in the shop!
    I have some basic questions, as I've never interfaced with a laser module:
    1) Is this an "RF" laser module? It has (2) high current 24v DC, and (3) smaller wires in the harness. These are not co-ax, and don't appear to be shielded - Which is why I question which kind of laser module I'm working with.
    2) Is there a guide on controlling the various kinds of laser drives? PWM vs analog vs RF? If this is an RF laser, what are good options for retrofit controls?
    3) I'm open to installing a Chinese tube, but is it worth trying to save the OEM laser? That is, is a 23 year old "expensive" laser better than a modern "cheap" one? Restorations seems to be about $900

Thanks for tolerating some newb questions!
    ULS M30 resurrection?-20221118_171255-jpg