Build Thread CO2 laser - for my wife ;)

Thread: CO2 laser - for my wife ;)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default CO2 laser - for my wife ;)

Hello!

I'm quite new to the forum and I realize that my questions will probably seem trivial, but I'm counting on some feedback

A little about me: Marcin, I'm a technician of refrigeration, at one time I was a contributor to the forum of a well-known industry portal in Poland (so I know that my questions for professionals layman will probably be for you biased ). I like tinkering with electronics, I like programming something, building, inventing, learning, improving. Hence the idea to make such a machine. It's a combination of pleasant (for me, I would just like to build something, I like to tinker) and useful (for my wife, she runs a small business and has a birthday in June which is to be her gift :P).

Immediately add that I have never designed machines in the computer, although autocad is not alien to me. Because of this I do not have it on the drawings yet, however my goal and request is not to evaluate the project but the idea according to which I want to make the machine. If the idea has a chance to implement the project will probably be created

In general, the matter is that I would like to build my wife a CO2 laser with a working field of about 1000x1000, mm. Currently we have a Chinese 400x400 and engraves as such, but in truth it's terrible ^#&^

Purpose:
    - mainly cutting in plywood 3-10mm and its engraving
    - additionally cutting and engraving plexi

Base construction:
    Steel structure from 40x40x2 profiles, welded - probably the upper part will be given to milling to be level for linear systems. It can be leveled with screwed feet. I don't have the possibility to anneal it relaxing the whole structure, unfortunately

X axis:
    Supported by fi 12 supported rollers and semi-open bearings located on top of the base. Driven by a toothed belt. Two stepper motors (SM 42STH60-1684A - 0.91Nm, 1.68A) - coupled operation. Plus two drivers (DM542) and a SPS2410 (V3.0)-24VDC/10A non-stabilized power supply

Y axis:
    The gate, made in the first version from hard HDF (I saw such a thing in a milling machine and it worked fine. I think it will work with laser too?) travel system on similar principle as for X axis: supported shafts only fi 10 rotated by 90*, belt, same stepper motor, same driver, power from same power supply as X axis motors.

Work table:
    Here I have a problem, I was looking for honeycombs for lasers but their prices are staggering and in this size it's a total cosmos, I couldn't find anything that would satisfy me. I was thinking of making a lightweight frame to which will be attached deck grating as a honeycomb. Construction based on 4 trapezoidal screws in the corners with pulleys for the belt to adjust the height (the belt goes through all 4 pulleys, tensioner and pinion with a handle to turn, you surely understand what I mean

Laser:
    80W tube permanently located, not on the gate to minimize vibration.
    Cooling I will make myself, finally a refrigeration man
    Air: ACO-003

At the beginning, everything would be controlled by Arduino UNO, because I own such thing and at the moment, this is the only thing I can program.
    Soft: Lightburn

Extras:
    - limit switches
    - laser beam path protector
    - Eye protection
    - covers of all elements where the laser light can appear in case of failure
    - bottom suction (initially about 300m3/h)

The question for today is whether such an idea makes sense at all? Because if it does, I will start designing and I will probably bother you a little
    If it doesn't make sense then why?
    I just don't want to do something that is doomed to failure
    I'm also not counting on someone to build a machine for me, I'm rather counting on hints on assumptions, selected technologies, systems and hints on what to pay special attention etc.

Thank you very much for all answers!

Marcin.