Newbie Trying to educate myself for DIY laser engraver build

Thread: Trying to educate myself for DIY laser engraver build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Trying to educate myself for DIY laser engraver build

I am currently building a 3D printer from scratch (using an existing 3d Printer) When I am done I will have nearly all the hardware to do another build, so I want to build a laser engraver. I have a 3d Printer board (Big Tree Tech SKR 1.4 Turbo) controller board. This was initially built for 3d printers, but I see some have adapted it for laser engraving.

My question and what I am having a harder time finding info on....is what kind of more job specific controller board is being used on the engravers. I would assume you should be able to pick up a more job specific controller for about that 50.00 range. I\
    Is there a break out board needed to interface between the two?

The 3d printer controller board is great for controlling the Axis movement, but in my opinion falls a little flat in controlling the laser. (PWM output?)

I would like to use LightBurn, and will be starting out with a Diode laser. Due to initial expense I would like to start / get into this using a diode laser module, but I am also open to suggestions on the software.

I think I may have also been looking in the wrong areas, but this and lightburn's site are the 2 forums that help, I am also open to other good DIY / Build forums you may have stumbled across.

Thanks for any pointers.
    -Rich