Newbie Laser choice + conneciton with the duet controller

Thread: Laser choice + conneciton with the duet controller

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Laser choice + conneciton with the duet controller

Hello,

I am clearly a newbie/hobyist in the word of the cnc. I have a Workbee 1500mm x 1500mm from ooznest at home since about a year for my woodworking stuffs.
    But now, I also would like to make wood jewelry and toysand those kind of projects: https://bewood.pl/en/wooden-map---ma...RoCum8QAvD_BwE but of course it is never possible to make the internal corners sharp and the details small enough with a router mounted on it. So I would like to adapt a laser module. It will be mainly to cut some thin plywood or mdf (3-6mm).

So I have two questions:
    - What kind of laser should I take? I saw multiple videos on youtube with some guys that looks pretty happy with the ortur machines. and the pricing 100-150€ looks attractive and in my budget https://ortur.net/collections/option...aufero-laser-1 . Some people also advice to use a CO2 laser but if I understand correctly it is quite fragile so that could be an issue. Also, still realted to this question, what about the security because I will not do a big protection box as my cnc is quite large.
    - Second question, how do I connect this laser to my duet controller? I didn't have a master in electronic but I didn't have 90€ to spend in an additional controller link in this kit either https://optlasers.com/cnc-laser-upgr...-xf-laser-head

Also as I have an air compressor it could be good to buy a compressed spot stuff but is is something that I really need to buy to have good result or do I have some alternative to build something similar in diy?

REgards,

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Laser choice + conneciton with the duet controller

Laser diode modules are mainly used for engraving letters, photos, cut paper and vinyl. I don’t have one but think they top out at 10 watts, but I’m sure anything is possible with $.
    For cutting 3-5mm ply or MDF you will need something like a 50 watt CO2 laser. I think 30 watt would struggle. An enclosed laser cutter also solves the problem of capturing the smoke generated from such a cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Kapoue View Post
    . Some people also advice to use a CO2 laser but if I understand correctly it is quite fragile so that could be an issue.
    I would not consider a CO2 laser quite fragile. As long as it is operated correctly there should be no issue. Your Glowforge and Makeblock are CO2s as is your OMTechs etc.

However if I understand your post the limiting factor is going to be funds available to use. If your funds are limited you need to decide what you can afford to spend/invest. Then compare that to what you want to do.

Maybe you can find something that can do what you want but it will take longer (multiple passes) and be affordable to you.
    Maybe you can find something that can do what you want but its more expensive but quicker.

Me im going large (Medium) or going home and investing in a CO2. However im looking at retirement and stuff to keep me busy.

Ive seen the diode lasers and thought that was a good starting point but then figured I may as well buy now wha ti know I can afford then to get down the road and not have the funds.

I also dont understand the security question.... are you talking safety?

As for those connections most times you may/will have to upgrade the controller.

just some things to think about.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello and thank you both for your answers.

When I talk about security yes it was safety I don't want to loose an eye or burning my home

As I budget I don't want to go over 300-350€ for the bundle (I mean laser and connection) maybe it isn't enough but then I will probably abandon the project. That is why a diode at 150€ was interesting for me.

As it is really as an hobby, time is not really an issue.
    For the CO2 I have the feeling that it is more material and so more risk of failure, and more budget or am I wrong?

About the smoke that could happend during this machning my cnc is just at 20cm from my big garage door so I guess that I could just open it when I need to user my laser.
    Also I have seen a video for the air assist diy : that could be maybe usefull. (I will also probably buy a 3d printer)

Downloads
    Uploads

Your not going to get much for 350 euro (Sorry I don’t know where that symbol is on US keyboards) in a CO2 laser cutter.
    I wonder if you could get a small laser diode to engrave (vector) the pattern in your material and then invest in a scroll saw to cut it? You could even add a pen to a XY CNC machine.
    Just in case you don’t know what a scroll saw is; it’s a stationary tool, like a band saw, except the blade reciprocates up and down. And you can remove it to cut inside patterns.
    It will take more time and require more skill but I think you will get by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for your help on it.
    I think that I goanna need to abandon this project then.