Newbie laser not cutting circles properly

Thread: laser not cutting circles properly

Default laser not cutting circles properly

Thanks in advance. I'm a total newbie and I have tried everything I can find online to fix the problem (adjusting belts & aligning laser). When I cut circles, they have points at 2 points every time - picture attached. Any assistance is GREATLY appreciated. I have an OMTECH 130W.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails laser not cutting circles properly-circle-cutting-properly-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: laser not cutting circles properly

Looks like backlash in the Y axis. The stepper is moving but because of play in the drive it takes up slack before it starts moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dean448 View Post
    Looks like backlash in the Y axis. The stepper is moving but because of play in the drive it takes up slack before it starts moving.

great, thanks. do you know how to fix it?

I researched adjusting y access on the machine settings. it seems to make it better on the top but not on the bottom.
    any suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails laser not cutting circles properly-20210712_193656-jpg   laser not cutting circles properly-20210712_193808-jpg   laser not cutting circles properly-20210712_193812-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thought you were dealing with a K40. Just about the cheapest thing called a laser cutter. Then I reread your post.
    This is showing very poor performance for a good machine. You should be able to spin the round plug in the cut hole.
    So the Y axis is driven by a stepper with two pulleys. That’s a one piece shaft. Grab each pulley and make sure there is no movement if you twist the shaft.
    Then check that the belts are not riding up the flanges of ANY pulleys. Fix any of this.
    That’s the basic but I suspect there are more/other issues in this machine

Thought you were dealing with a K40. Just about the cheapest thing called a laser cutter. Then I reread your post.
    This is showing very poor performance for a good machine. You should be able to spin the round plug in the cut hole.
    So the Y axis is driven by a stepper with two pulleys. That’s a one piece shaft. Grab each pulley and make sure there is no movement if you twist the shaft.
    Then check that the belts are not riding up the flanges of ANY pulleys. Fix any of this.

I will check it out tomorrow. thanks so much for helping out!

Quote Originally Posted by JackiePrice View Post
    I will check it out tomorrow. thanks so much for helping out!
    I think I've made it worse. Now all lines are wobbly. I tried tightening belts. That made it too jerky. Then loosened them a bit.

I'm completely out of my element and have customers coming in tomorrow for their orders. I'm at my wits end.

3rd day now that I'm waiting to hear back from omtech support. Not thrilled with them right now.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails laser not cutting circles properly-20210714_102617-jpg   laser not cutting circles properly-20210714_102413-jpg   laser not cutting circles properly-20210714_102419-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

It’s weird how the software says that circle is 2mm in diameter yet the actual circle is more like 50mm. Either setting are messed up or the controller is set up for the wrong machine. I’d go thru every setting and see if you can cut a perfect 20mm square then same for a circle. Carefully record any changes made. Bringing a the machine back to default settings would be helpful

Just shoot for reasonable belt tension. Tight enough that the belt doesn’t sag.

This is what we have now. I tried to troubleshoot.
    It seems to be skipping.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails laser not cutting circles properly-20210714_133025-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Check if your pulley on motor is tightly screwed to its shaft.

Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.