Marking lots of anodized parts/which machine?

Thread: Marking lots of anodized parts/which machine?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Marking lots of anodized parts/which machine?

Hello everyone,

I would like to first say that I know very little about lasers but very knowledgeable around CnC machines.

We are looking for a machine that will strictly be marking anodized aluminum with our company logo and such. We are looking to mark lots of parts and trying to not only find a fast machine but one that will do a decent amount of parts at one time. I think we want something that is 24x36" at minimum. I have been told that CO2 would be the way to go and not to get anything over a 80W. Just trying to learn a little more about what machines i should be looking at for our particular situation/need. Thank you for any help you may offer.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Marking lots of anodized parts/which machine?

You need a gantry fiber laser machine. All majo brands make them. Here are the top 3 options:

- Epilog Fusion Pro 48
    - Trotec Speedy 360 Flexx
    - GCC S290LS

It may be a good idea to add a camera for precise positioning of the graphics.

If the cycle time is very important for you check the option for a gantry machine equipped with a galvo head. The speed and the engraving quality will be significantly better. It will have to be a custom made machine. Most likely you will have to import it from China.

Downloads
    Uploads

Fiber laser are more expensie than co2 and i think a co2 laser will do same work , but slower , the main benefit it is more cheap .

Downloads
    Uploads

We mark on anodized aluminum all the time with our mopa laser but the marking area is small and the speed is slow too.

Downloads
    Uploads

First, I'll say I don't know anything about lasers, but I watched this video recently and it may offer an alternative. There is a link to the company that makes the hardware (in Poland). Good luck with your search.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MotorMounts View Post
    I think we want something that is 24x36" at minimum.
    Engraved signs are so big???

CNC lasers, constructions, service

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Marking lots of anodized parts/which machine?

Google Tykma Zetalase XLT
    LMT Cobalt XD

Downloads
    Uploads

I do a lot of anodized tags and signage with 3 basic 30w galvo fiber lasers. One thing I've found is that it's not always time-saving to try fill the whole table with many parts at once. Case in point, I make small ID plates for an auto brake company, and I found that just doing a few at a time ends up taking much less time overall than trying to do as many as the machine will fit. In the amount of time it took to prep the machine to run 20 at once, I was able to have 60 pieces done already running 2 at a time. A 300 part job took about 2/3 the time at 2 up than it would have at 20 up. If you're engraving sheet stock that can be accurately cut around the engraving AFTER engraving, then a large table can speed things up. But if you're engraving individual parts, the initial setup time and the parts-out-parts-in can will kill you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting. I set up several 50W fiber marking lasers at work including one where we had to do the final mechanical integration in house. Currently looking to add 2 more and one of the requirements given was a larger format marking area to be able to mark more parts in one cycle. So what you’re saying is the time spent fiddling with the setup/ part and fixture alignment to the marking template exceeds the cycle time overhead to load unload individual parts? I’m not doubting you but in our case we can usually bang out a template and fixturing rather quickly so we opt that route. I suppose if you are only doing 60 pcs and the job won’t ever come up again it may well be faster to brute force it. We have standard size aluminum tags so gridding the template is pretty repeatable. What would be intriguing is if something inherent in the galvo or laser was less efficient time wise having to steer across a large area if that makes any sense?