I have an laser engraver from China that can print about 2 feet x 2 feet (it's the type of machine that uses a typical 450 nm diode at 3 Watts).

I have printed a number of large signs on cedar planks. Using LaserGRBL software instead of the stock software, I can actually get the engraving quite dark, almost black. The problem is that even after several coats of clear polyurethane, one summer of weak Canadian sun was enough to fade many of the signs. So, I'm looking for a way to remake the signs in a way that will survive the weather better (it would be nice to get at least 5 years). I would love input on the ideas I had:

1) Engrave them the same way I did at first, but find a better sealant with better UV protection in it.

2) Tape the surface and then engrave. Then spray paint in the engraved letters. I like this idea, but I tried a small test run and the wood grain seems to suck in the paint and I don't end up with clean edges to the letters.

3) Find some sort of powder or other material that will fuse to the wood from the laser heat. Laser printer toner is what came to mind, but this is dirty stuff to deal with - very light and it blows everwhere

4) Find some sort of material that can be cut into shape by burning just the outline of letters, and then use heat (either a hit air gun or an iron) to fuse it onto the wood. Some sort of iron on vinyl?

Does anyone have any suggestions?