Marking part number on 275 SS parts

Thread: Marking part number on 275 SS parts

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Marking part number on 275 SS parts

I have 275 parts that I need to mark the part number on. I can't batch them due to their size, so it's one at a time.
    Parts are 304L SS, Digits are 3/8" high x 10 digits long. I do not need a black mark, just visible.
    More fab type stuff, not tumblers or medical.

I ordered a 30 watt fiber laser but unfortunately it's been sitting in a warehouse for 8 days and hadn't shipped yet.
    I also have a 80 watt CO2 laser that should be here this week.

I'm sure the fiber would be much better for this job but I believe the CO2 will be here much quicker and I will be forced to use it and some marking compound instead. It's either that or hammer and stencils which I prefer not to do!

Since I hadn't done this before, Just guessing, how much time do you think it will take to:
    A) Prep and spray - Mainly dry time of Cermark before I can laser
    B) Laser Mark - Lost here on time
    C) Post Laser Time? I see some say laser and wash and others say sit over night before washing?
    D) Clean each part? - It looks like the Cermark washes off pretty easy so I don't see tying up much time here.

Don't beat me up to bad, I just stepping into the laser world and having my back against the wall isn't helping any.

Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Marking part number on 275 SS parts

I guess I provided to much information... LOL
    No problem, I seem to have a handle on it. Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by rwskinner View Post
    I have 275 parts that I need to mark the part number on. I can't batch them due to their size, so it's one at a time.
    Parts are 304L SS, Digits are 3/8" high x 10 digits long. I do not need a black mark, just visible.
    More fab type stuff, not tumblers or medical.

I ordered a 30 watt fiber laser but unfortunately it's been sitting in a warehouse for 8 days and hadn't shipped yet.
    I also have a 80 watt CO2 laser that should be here this week.

I'm sure the fiber would be much better for this job but I believe the CO2 will be here much quicker and I will be forced to use it and some marking compound instead. It's either that or hammer and stencils which I prefer not to do!

Since I hadn't done this before, Just guessing, how much time do you think it will take to:
    A) Prep and spray - Mainly dry time of Cermark before I can laser
    B) Laser Mark - Lost here on time
    C) Post Laser Time? I see some say laser and wash and others say sit over night before washing?
    D) Clean each part? - It looks like the Cermark washes off pretty easy so I don't see tying up much time here.

Don't beat me up to bad, I just stepping into the laser world and having my back against the wall isn't helping any.

Thanks.