Is Fiber the most flexible type of Laser for engraving?

Thread: Is Fiber the most flexible type of Laser for engraving?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Is Fiber the most flexible type of Laser for engraving?

I work in digital print but have been toying with the idea of laser engraving for a while now and I'm looking to take the plunge. I was wondering if anyone could give real-world experiences and feedback where they've worked with a wide variety of mediums?

I'm looking to primarily engrave on wood and metals (gold, silver, steel, aluminium) - for wood it would probably be tending towards the less detailed side of things (text and vector graphics), metal would likely involve some jewellery, which wouldn't be particularly detailed but would obviously be working on much smaller scale.

If at all possible, I'd like something I could experiment with a variety of mediums on; stone, glass, leather (marking), perhaps light cutting of paper/sticker cut-outs. Is it possible to get a machine that can do it all?
    I'm open to Chinese import but would like low maintenance if possible, I'd suspected fiber would be the way to go. However, my research suggests Fiber wouldn't be a great choice for wood?
    Some sites explicitly say it won't work, however, I've found some evidence of it being possible (videos on ), so has the tech moved on?
    I now realise I might have to choose a camp: co2 or fiber.

It would be for commercial application, so I've got a budget around $10k. A large-ish working area would be beneficial if I was looking to engrave, say, 20 pens in a go but obviously I may need to compromise and am completely aware of that!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
      Uploads

Default Re: Is Fiber the most flexible type of Laser for engraving?

For metals , only fiber laser is working .
      Co2 laser works only if u use some primer on metals , or u engrave anodized aluminium .

Downloads
      Uploads

Thanks Andreiir, I suppose the big question is whether my linked video was true and Fiber will mark onto wood...

Downloads
      Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Chriggy View Post
      Thanks Andreiir, I suppose the big question is whether my linked video was true and Fiber will mark onto wood...
      no fiber laser will work on wood, wood in an organic material , only co2 lasers will mark - organic material. this in the video is galvo co2 laser.
      Kind Regards.

Downloads
      Uploads

quote: I'd like something I could experiment with a variety of mediums on; stone, glass, leather (marking), perhaps light cutting of paper/sticker cut-outs." : - these are organic materials. you need co2 laser marker for that. Kind Regards.

Downloads
      Uploads

Thanks guys, I guess I'll need to be more selective about the materials then - the maintenance time and reliability of co2 doesn't appeal (I spend enough time wrestling with machines already!) so I think it'll be Fiber.

Downloads
      Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Chriggy View Post
      Thanks guys, I guess I'll need to be more selective about the materials then - the maintenance time and reliability of co2 doesn't appeal (I spend enough time wrestling with machines already!) so I think it'll be Fiber.
      you are mixing laser souces ( fiber, co2, etc ) with engineering or build of the laser marker, I understand that you are looking into galvo lasers - fiber laser galvo. So look into co2 galvo laser as well. example of co2 laser galvo working.

Kind Regards.

Last edited by keyencelaser; 01-17-2020 at 03:53 PM.