Hi guys,

I have no experience with laser engraving/etching, but I need to get a machine for a specific job at my work and I have no idea where to start, so I thought I would start by asking the experts!

I need to buy or build a device for etching dark graduations on to a 25-30mm (1inch) diameter anodized aluminium pole. Essentially we just want to etch in a strip of measurement graduations (like a rule) on one side of the pole, with their numbers beside, similar to this type of thing: https://dutchhill.com/images/poles/fg-pole-scale.jpg

The length of the pole will be 1.3m (4'2"). So I need long format, but not wide in the other dimensions. If I could buy something at a budget that the company can afford I will, but I also have a small machine shop with a lathe, 3D printer, drill press etc. so if I need to build one, that is do-able if I can be pointed in the right direction on a few things:

1. What type of laser head would give me these dark etchings (they do not need to be deep, just visible)
2. Does a long format engraver already exist? (I have limited space to use and store it, so I don't want to buy something large format in both directions as it will only be used for these long poles)
3. If I do have to build one, how friendly is the software that is available, in terms of getting it to understand that the bed will be very long. Are these parameters able to be entered in for a custom made machine?
4. Will any kind of engraver handle the curved surface of the pole or would I need to engrave in two setups, like the graduations first, then rotate the pole slightly and then engrave the numbers?

I would appreciate any advice you can give but please understand I am a novice when it comes to all things laser engraving, but I have a lot of 3D printing and engineering experience, so I am able to 3D model and print parts, machine parts etc. if required.

Thanks,
Kevin