Laser Engraving: Sorting Niggles & Hardware Upgrade Advice

Thread: Laser Engraving: Sorting Niggles & Hardware Upgrade Advice

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Laser Engraving: Sorting Niggles & Hardware Upgrade Advice

Hi All,

My wife and I are new to all this having bought our first Laser Engraver as a bit of an experiment before buying a bigger one for her business. We have one of the 40W Machines. Once we have returned the investment, we'll be upgrading to a bigger one. I have some questions and challenges though:

(1) We're going to cut plywood, small shapes, letters and decorations. I cut some simple shapes (hearts) which came out perfectly fine. I then moved on to the letters that she wants which are slighly more complex. One came out perfectly fine, but then the attached (in HDF) happened and happens every so often. Any idea what causes this? Note: We don't have a clamp so I suspect this may be it

(2) Is there a way to better ventilate the machine? The exhaust is working well as its one of the upgraded machines, but it could be better. I've read about Air Assist but it seems to focus on the laser quality rather than getting fumes out of the machine

(3) Is Air Assist essential? If so, where is best recommended?

(4) I've read about the beds been less than optimal. Its the factory fitted one. I've read about the Honeycomb Beds and also the Spike beds. Which is best recommended?

(5) For software, I've downloaded InkScape. Is this the best design software (with little or no cost)? Also, is LaserDRW OK or is there another recommendation?

Thanks advance and apologies for the newbie questions. We like the outputs so far, just need to get the randomness resolved

Regards,
    Stephen