Need Help! Universal M300 laser, 25w

Thread: Universal M300 laser, 25w

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Universal M300 laser, 25w

I got a "working" M300 laser engraver for free from work. It was fully serviced and tested in 2016 and has been used less than 10 minutes since. Been in our prototype lab for a while.

It will engrave just fine. It will HOME just fine when done cutting. But it will not obey the origin. It will start from upper right and then jog all the way to the lower left and start working.

Using Inkscape. Tried both SVG and DXF of a couple different simple files. File artwork is positioned at 0,0 but also tried 1",1" and 3" x 3" without much change. Connected to the 25-pin parallel with a 25pin-to-USB adapter. Nothing comes up on the diagnostics.

Just planning to use for some hobby stuff and to put my side-business logo on a few items here and there.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Universal M300 laser, 25w

Update:
    Crossing my fingers the problem can be solved with the correct parallel data cable. I was adapting off the end of the machine's existing cable which would've been a CN36-to-DB25-to-USB adaptation. I should have been adapting off the back of the machine for CN36 to USB. The manual even specifies the type of cable to use and warns that erroneous data transmission errors can occur with incorrect cables. Thus hoping that extra adaptation step and cable length was the problem. Kinda like having someone translate Mandarin to Spanish to English...gonna lose a little detail in there, lol.

New cable arrives tomorrow. #FingersCrossed

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DMoneyAllstar View Post
    Update:
    Crossing my fingers the problem can be solved with the correct parallel data cable. I was adapting off the end of the machine's existing cable which would've been a CN36-to-DB25-to-USB adaptation. I should have been adapting off the back of the machine for CN36 to USB. The manual even specifies the type of cable to use and warns that erroneous data transmission errors can occur with incorrect cables. Thus hoping that extra adaptation step and cable length was the problem. Kinda like having someone translate Mandarin to Spanish to English...gonna lose a little detail in there, lol.

New cable arrives tomorrow. #FingersCrossed
    I have a X660. Tried the parallel to usb cable thing and it always gave me problems. Finally just installed a cheap parallel port into my tower and haven’t had a problem since.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Universal M300 laser, 25w

Ok, so the CN36 to USB actually worked. There's no way I'm installing a parallel port on my laptop.

My other problem was using Inkscape SVG files. SVG & DXF work great in SheetCAM for my cnc plasma, but not with this older laser. I found Adobe PDF format (rasterized with 0 mm margin) to play well with this M300.