Newbie Laser Engraving vs Cutting

Thread: Laser Engraving vs Cutting

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Laser Engraving vs Cutting

Hi,
    I'm looking at a SainSmart Blue Laser Module Kit for Genmitsu CNC Router and the thought occured to me as to how it controlled. Clearly with cutting it the beam has to penetrate the depth of the material likewise engraving the beam has to penetrate 'some' depth. I guess for cutting the depth would have to be controlled somehow otherwise you'd cut right through the bed and the table too!!

How is this done? Is it the power that is adjusted or the focus? Can you determine a specific depth, say 0.1mm as in the case of engraving?

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Laser Engraving vs Cutting

Don't worry, even with the 5.5 watt version your barley going to be able to cut cardboard, you won't damage anything on the machine. Yes, normally power and speed are controlled, and lasers usually have a pretty short focal length, think of it as an hourglass shape.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Don't worry, even with the 5.5 watt version your barley going to be able to cut cardboard, you won't damage anything on the machine. Yes, normally power and speed are controlled, and lasers usually have a pretty short focal length, think of it as an hourglass shape.
    Thanks for your reply.

I was thinking of this being a starter - something I can upgrade in the future. I suppose a co2 would be a better choice for cutting?

Downloads
    Uploads

Depends on what you want to cut.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Depends on what you want to cut.
    Nothing in particular, I just want to try engraving then moving on to cutting if possible to do so.

I'm not expecting miracles but don't want to completely eliminate the option from the start, so I'm trying to keep some options open...