New Machine Build Custom Large Glowforge Practical? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Best Color For a Plastic Door?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Red

0 0%
  • Orange

1 50.00%
  • Yellow

0 0%
  • Green

0 0%
  • Blue/Violet

0 0%
  • Clear

1 50.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Custom Large Glowforge Practical?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Custom Large Glowforge Practical?

Good to know, guess I am pretty interested in a parallel mounted camera if it is pretty precise. From what I can gather I just tether the camera and cohesion control board to two of my computer's USB ports and so long as lightburn can find the camera I just let it sort itself out.

As a boon of curiosity, do you think it is possible to wire the camera direct to the cohesion board and then connect to my computer through a single USB instead of two? It's not a requirement but more of a whim to learn to do something new. I took a look at the pin out and it looks possible.I have an SQ13 camera with a 5 pin micro USB connection that breaks out to a 5V VCC/GND, Digital-/Digital+, and ID. The cohesion mini has 5V/GND auxillary power pins as well as a RX/TX pins free of an LCD break out (sweet), just not sure if I can dedicate any random processor pin to the ID to use as an enable pin or if it's just some null shielding I can ignore.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, the parallel method is very precise but currently, lightburn supports only parallax for rough positioning. Hopefully, in the future, they will add the option for parallel cameras.

In the video link below you can see the Trotec parallel camera system. The Trotec software works only with registration marks. It doesn't provide the option for large resolution overlays or automatic feature discovery as the more advanced systems.

For wiring the camera directly to the cohesion board - I don't know. I am not familiar with that particular controller. If that is not possible you could use a simple USB hub. That way you could have only one USB cable coming out from the machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool and yeah, hoping for the same thing. and neat way how the JC Vision Camera System works. Quite a bit food for thought haha.

And that is a good point, a USB hub would be much simpler. Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

How thick of woods or acrylics you want to cut ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Minimum 1/4" plywood with varying densities and 3-5mm acrylics, if I can cut 1/2" plywood, all the more fun but not a requirement. I don't need something supersized but I want something deadly, dangerous, and overkill. 80w looked pretty cool on Amazon and I can order it with points. I had a recommendation 60w would be plenty so I'm considering that too.

Downloads
    Uploads

60 watt would be a little on the weak side. I have a 60 watt and a 130 watt and the power difference is unbelievable I can cut 6 mm acrylic at 5 with the 60 but I can cut it at 15 on the 130

Downloads
    Uploads

Minimum 1/4" plywood with varying densities and 3-5mm acrylics, if I can cut 1/2" plywood, all the more fun but not a requirement.
    Why not using laser LED such as endurance laser The Endurance DIY engraving / cutting machine for home, workshop and for your business. ... just want to know because I am interested too to have laser cutting for that thickness.

Downloads
    Uploads

Fixtureman1:
    Thanks for the tip, guess that's a vote for 80w I am thinking of using a quick swap focus lens and nozzle for air assist, the idea would be to use a 20mm (0.79") diameter and 38.1mm (1.5") focal distance lens for engraving and something like a 20mm (0.79") diameter and 101.6mm (4") focal distance lens for cutting. Perhaps with a 60L/min air pump for air assist it can stand a modest chance against some thicker materials. Very eager for your thoughts!

Asuratman:
    I was considering the laser modules and really I don't know that much about them so maybe someone here with more experience can pitch in and tell me I am totally wrong lol. My thoughts right now are, sure, the modules could be too weak but I have seen videos where 5-10w laser modules could cut up to 1/8" woods of certain densities and 3mm acrylics of certain colors. They would certainly be ideal for cutting card stock, sketching pcb's, and engraving soft items which is fantastic if that is what you are looking for and you don't want anything heavy in your work space. They are also wonderful for smaller machines thanks to their compact size because these CO2 tubes are surprisingly long at higher wattages. My concerns for modules start when I am considering the inertia of a 10w laser module swinging side to side with high accelerations over 2 to 4 feet and how the lifespan of the module would stand running at its peak 10w power for +16hrs to cut large items like construction grade plywoods, engraving granite, glass (if it can), and I know someone who doesn't know better might even come to me asking if I could etch something into a soft piece of metal and I'd really hate to say no without giving it a try if the conditions are right. As for cost, a 10w laser module costs just as much as a 40w CO2 laser tube (excluding mirrors, lens, cooling, power supply etc) on amazon so while I like the idea of a laser module for probably most hobby projects, I see having an obnoxiously over kill laser tube for the job better for extending the laser tube's lifespan and giving more options when tough jobs arise. Far better to have an 80w laser tube and never have need for anything greater than a 60w laser tube than to have a 10w laser module when you need a 60-80w laser for the task at hand. Also, bragging rights because I am a petty bugger.

Last edited by SerMumble; 07-29-2019 at 09:02 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fixtureman1 View Post
    You have to take into consideration that the Glowforge controller is only good for 12x20 and won't let you render large cuts. Also you will need wifi with a very stable connection that the glowforge users are having problems with. I would look into a Centroid controller
    It actually is limited to somewhere around 11-1/4 x 19.5".

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    It actually is limited to somewhere around 11-1/4 x 19.5".
    Yeah they misinformed the public with that one.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fixtureman1 View Post
    Yeah they misinformed the public with that one.
    As well as a few other features.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    As well as a few other features.
    Like alignment with the camera and how great cloud rendering is. Oh and if your material is off by .005 mm it won't cut thru

Downloads
    Uploads

Doing an update on the modeling work and just wrapping up with most of the Y-axis when not working in infinite mode. Going to hold the laser tube right long the length of the machine just like a glowforge because I really like how it looks and I'm figuring it will make mirror alignment/consistency a little simpler.

The mirrors have their own special ball mounts with screw slots for fine tuning the angle. It's not a sure fire thing, I'll do a few test prints later to iron things out and fall back to the o'l spring mount if it doesn't work out.

Some other slots are for assembling the system together as well as belts, Nema 17 fixing point as well as tensioning, and miscellaneous wires/air tube.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Custom Large Glowforge Practical?-screenshot-381-jpg   Custom Large Glowforge Practical?-screenshot-382-jpg   Custom Large Glowforge Practical?-screenshot-383-jpg   Custom Large Glowforge Practical?-screenshot-385-jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12