Looking for advise on cutting thin paper/fabric material

Thread: Looking for advise on cutting thin paper/fabric material

Default Looking for advise on cutting thin paper/fabric material

I'm new to laser cutting and have a question with regards to cutting power and feed/speeds. I'm trying to cut a lightweight synetic fabric material with a 7w diode based laser. I have currently set around 12.5% cutting at 5 inches per min. Results are okay but there is some yellowing around the edges. Would you suggest upping the power/cut speed or retarding it? Is there a general ratio of wattage change to speed feeds?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for advise on cutting thin paper/fabric material

I'm not familiar with this particular setup but, 5" per min is really slow. Increase your speed to max. If it is not cutting through the material at max feed rate, increase power until it does. If it is cutting through at max feed rate, reduce power if you are still getting the yellowing.
    Also, check the focus of your diode to make sure it is at the smallest focus point possible. Focus on black paper & use a magnifying glass to help see the dot. You want it focused as close to the size of a pin prick as possible.
    One of my lasers is only a 3 watt & I engrave wood at waay faster speeds.
    Hope this helps.Looking for advise on cutting thin paper/fabric material

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

TokinSpokane
    Custom Crafts

Thanks for the info. I'm only running the laser at 12.5% power so about 1watt. I'll increase it as well as the speed and see what happens. As a reference when you're engraving wood how fast do you run the laser and are you at full power? Since i'm new to this I don't have a good handle on the relationship of cut speed vs power.

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't recall exactly the power & speed I was using. It's been awhile since i used it. It's a handy little open bottom laser. Great for engraving on cutting boards & such. I think 45-70% power & 80-100% feed rate.
    The only numbers I have in my head at the moment are for a 50 watt Co2 that I run at 45% & 300mms(1 foot per second) engraving acrylic panels & pendants.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

TokinSpokane
    Custom Crafts

Downloads
    Uploads

Also be aware that the yellowing may just be a fact of life when laser cutting that material. You may calm it down by running hotter and faster which gives less time for the heat of the cut to propagate into the material from the edge, but it may not go away completely. Might find you're better off with a drag knife setup.

Thanks all.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lordhelemt View Post
    Results are okay but there is some yellowing around the edges. Would you suggest upping the power/cut speed or retarding it?
    To avoid the yellowing of the edges you have to cut with 600-1000mm/s (depending on the type of paper). To penetrate the material in one pass at that speed typically requires 60-100W laser power.
    In short, you need a different machine. The ones specialized for paper are very expensive.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lordhelemt View Post
    I'm new to laser cutting and have a question with regards to cutting power and feed/speeds. I'm trying to cut a lightweight synetic fabric material with a 7w diode based laser. I have currently set around 12.5% cutting at 5 inches per min. Results are okay but there is some yellowing around the edges. Would you suggest upping the power/cut speed or retarding it? Is there a general ratio of wattage change to speed feeds?
    If you need to cut paper without yellowing around the edges , it is better to use galvo model . It can get clean cutting edge even on white paper .

Many thanks .

Kelvin