First Laser Cutting Machine purchase - any pointers?

Thread: First Laser Cutting Machine purchase - any pointers?

Default First Laser Cutting Machine purchase - any pointers?

Hi,

Just joined up here after finding this forum on the weekend. Been reading here ever since.

I am interested in buying a laser cutting machine. Reading through the threads it looks like Chinese is the way to go for cost savings but with caveats.

So from reading here it seems the AEON cutters are the ones to go for. I want as big a cutter as I can afford. I have a budget of around 15K USD + shipping and import duties etc.

I see the MIRA from AEON is recommended. Are the other machines from AEON as good? Better? Worse ? Why is it that the MIRA is recommended? Just because of price perhaps?

If I were to stick with the MIRA class machine I would go for the MIRA 9060 - specs say a 900x600mm working area (is that the actual max cut area?). So 900 x 600 would be OK. I would prefer a bit bigger cutting area but 900 600 is OK for my first machine.

What is the max size power on this class of machine? It looks to me as though they max they offer is 100W. I want to cut plywood up to about 12mm/15mm and acrylic sheet up to about 15mm. I may want to do other thing in time but dont know what else I may want to cut at this time. I am sure that owning a machine like this will open up ideas as time goes on!

From what I have read here, it seems the MIRA is a decent machine. Is the company in China anygood ? Any scams/dishonest practices to watch out for with them?

Any MIRA users here?

Thanks for any info

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: First Laser Cutting Machine purchase - any pointers?

In this price range, GCC would be your best option. When requesting a quote ask them specifically for a DC (glass) laser.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm also looking for a AEON Mira laser cutter and I choose the Mira 7045 but can't decide if I should get the RF 30w tube or more powerful water cooled one, need the laser mostly for engraving. Can someone please give suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Storen View Post
    In this price range, GCC would be your best option. When requesting a quote ask them specifically for a DC (glass) laser.
    Forgive my ignorance, but who is GCC? Are they Chinese? Why do you say ask for a DC laser? Can you maybe give me a url where i can find more information on a DC laser?

I have read elsewhere that laser cutters can have a tough time cutting ply wood. Does anyone here have any info or experience on that?

Thanks for any info provided

Edit: OK found GCC. Based in Taiwan. Higher end Chinese then. Servo motors, so from I have read so far, thats good. What else is it about GCC you like ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Battery_Powered View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but who is GCC? Are they Chinese? Why do you say ask for a DC laser? Can you maybe give me a url where i can find more information on a DC laser?

I have read elsewhere that laser cutters can have a tough time cutting ply wood. Does anyone here have any info or experience on that?

Thanks for any info provided

Edit: OK found GCC. Based in Taiwan. Higher end Chinese then. Servo motors, so from I have read so far, thats good. What else is it about GCC you like ?
    It is a higher class machine. Everything will be better - construction, components, software, quality control, support. Currently, GCC offers the best cutting machines in this price range.
    The reason I mentioned to ask for DC is that a high wattage RF laser (good enough for cutting) would be outside your budget. Besides, it is probably going to be an overkill in your case.

Last edited by Storen; 02-13-2019 at 10:30 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

Just joined up here after finding this forum on the weekend. Been reading here ever since.

I am interested in buying a laser cutting machine. Reading through the threads it looks like Chinese is the way to go for cost savings but with caveats.

So from reading here it seems the AEON cutters are the ones to go for. I want as big a cutter as I can afford. I have a budget of around 15K USD + shipping and import duties etc.
    Really? That name has never come up in my research. 99% of Chinese laser and CNC machines come from Jinan, but Aeon is based in Jiangsu. That, in itself isn't a problem, because Jiangsu is noted for high-tech electronic assembly, but interesting that this company are 'the ones to go for' yet are outside the traditional laser production area.

I see the MIRA from AEON is recommended. Are the other machines from AEON as good? Better? Worse ? Why is it that the MIRA is recommended? Just because of price perhaps?

If I were to stick with the MIRA class machine I would go for the MIRA 9060 - specs say a 900x600mm working area (is that the actual max cut area?). So 900 x 600 would be OK. I would prefer a bit bigger cutting area but 900 600 is OK for my first machine.
    Define your specs - what speed, power, size, of machine you want, then find a manufacturer. You've done it ass-about-face, in my opinion, by finding a manufacturer then choosing a machine they sell. There are a lot of good machinery makers in China. And don't forget, most of these guys are sheet-metal workers, they use off-the-shelf components to assemble their machines. They are all using the same components, or should be.

Look for some well-known and respected components and ensure your supplier is using them:

Leadshine for drivers and closed-loop steppers
    Reci for tubes and PSU
    HiWin for transport and bearings
    Trocen for controllers

Just to name a few. Of course there are others, but those are known, good manufacturers.

What is the max size power on this class of machine? It looks to me as though they max they offer is 100W. I want to cut plywood up to about 12mm/15mm and acrylic sheet up to about 15mm. I may want to do other thing in time but dont know what else I may want to cut at this time. I am sure that owning a machine like this will open up ideas as time goes on!
    You can fit a W8 tube in one, but it doesn't really make sense. You will need 130-150W (Reci W6) at a minimum to cut 15mm plywood in one pass.

From what I have read here, it seems the MIRA is a decent machine. Is the company in China anygood ? Any scams/dishonest practices to watch out for with them?

Any MIRA users here?
    You've read good things, but not from users? Who then?

And yes, plenty of scams and dishonest vendors. Just be aware of what you're getting. They want your money, most aren't interested in your second business. Support is less important than getting the cash.

After doing a search, nearly all the positive noise about Aeon is from resellers. Not yet read a single post from an owner.

Never a good sign.

If you are really going to be cutting 15mm ply and acrylic, there's a lot of options. You say you want the biggest machine you can get, but then are looking at a 6090, rather than a 1325.

US$15k gets you a lot of machine.

I recently got a few quotes for 1390 machines (1300 x 900) with a Reci W6 and they were all around the US$6k mark, delivered.

Make a questionnaire and send it to a dozen makers:

What is your maximum cutting size
    Do you support pass-through
    Do you support ethernet/wifi networking
    What make/model of stepper driver
    What make/model of stepper motor
    What make of linear rail
    What make/model of CO2 tube
    What make/model of laser mirror/lens
    What make/model of PSU
    What make/model of controller
    What make/model of chiller
    Do you have interlocks on all openings
    Do you have emergency stop

etc.

Think about your day in production and what you want to achieve and how the machine will support that and ask questions accordingly.

And be cautious of people recommending stuff they don't use themselves.

I'm researching buying 3-4 laser engraver/cutters right now. three smaller desktop size and a larger 1390 or 1325. As it represents a large capital investment, with a similar further investment in 12 months, if all goes well, I'm in no hurry to jump in bed with a specific manufacturer. I've sent out requests for information to half a dozen manufacturers. Two - well known and often talked about on here - have been given the thumbs down straight away because they have shown an inability to follow basic instructions or to answer questions fully.

Don't accept half-assed.

The leading vendor currently is one that is less well-known in the US, but well-known in Australia/New Zealand, which is where I will be based. He's not the cheapest, but is responsive and thorough, which makes me think the company is also responsive and thorough.

When I've made some bone-headed questions/demands, he's patiently explained why it isn't such a good idea - such as going for a higher-spec chiller with multiple outlets to service two machines. If it goes down, I will have two down machines, not one - doh!

The other thing he recommended that none of the other vendors did, was to get shipping insurance. At 4% of the shipped price with a $300 excess, it makes sense when you have $12k in the mix.

I will likely visit the factory before I place the order.

From a couple of decades of dealing with Chinese suppliers, I can give you a couple of pieces of advice: Don't tell them your budget - or your machine will magically come within your budget. Be specific about what you want - you want a honeycomb and knife table, auto-focus and pass-through, but the machine spec doesn't have it? Just ask. Tell them what you want, let them decide a solution.

And be specific about getting fully-detailed quotations including part specifications, warranty and support. If they can't or won't give you a full breakdown of the unit, walk away.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

Any MIRA users here?

Thanks for any info
    Hi This is Amy from Thunderlaser.
    I recommend our Nova35 machine to you:
    laser-cutter
    Nova35 with working area 900x600mm, 80w and 100w for choice.
    It comes motorized table, hybrid servo motors, air assist, smart board and all accessories needed to set up and run.
    for more detail, you can also send us email: sales@thunderlaser.com
    thanks.
    Attachment 412386

www.thunderlaser.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ledaero View Post
    Really? That name has never come up in my research. 99% of Chinese laser and CNC machines come from Jinan, but Aeon is based in Jiangsu. That, in itself isn't a problem, because Jiangsu is noted for high-tech electronic assembly, but interesting that this company are 'the ones to go for' yet are outside the traditional laser production area.

Define your specs - what speed, power, size, of machine you want, then find a manufacturer. You've done it ass-about-face, in my opinion, by finding a manufacturer then choosing a machine they sell. There are a lot of good machinery makers in China. And don't forget, most of these guys are sheet-metal workers, they use off-the-shelf components to assemble their machines. They are all using the same components, or should be.

Look for some well-known and respected components and ensure your supplier is using them:

Leadshine for drivers and closed-loop steppers
    Reci for tubes and PSU
    HiWin for transport and bearings
    Trocen for controllers

Just to name a few. Of course there are others, but those are known, good manufacturers.

You can fit a W8 tube in one, but it doesn't really make sense. You will need 130-150W (Reci W6) at a minimum to cut 15mm plywood in one pass.

You've read good things, but not from users? Who then?

And yes, plenty of scams and dishonest vendors. Just be aware of what you're getting. They want your money, most aren't interested in your second business. Support is less important than getting the cash.

After doing a search, nearly all the positive noise about Aeon is from resellers. Not yet read a single post from an owner.

Never a good sign.

If you are really going to be cutting 15mm ply and acrylic, there's a lot of options. You say you want the biggest machine you can get, but then are looking at a 6090, rather than a 1325.

US$15k gets you a lot of machine.

I recently got a few quotes for 1390 machines (1300 x 900) with a Reci W6 and they were all around the US$6k mark, delivered.

Make a questionnaire and send it to a dozen makers:

What is your maximum cutting size
    Do you support pass-through
    Do you support ethernet/wifi networking
    What make/model of stepper driver
    What make/model of stepper motor
    What make of linear rail
    What make/model of CO2 tube
    What make/model of laser mirror/lens
    What make/model of PSU
    What make/model of controller
    What make/model of chiller
    Do you have interlocks on all openings
    Do you have emergency stop

etc.

Think about your day in production and what you want to achieve and how the machine will support that and ask questions accordingly.

And be cautious of people recommending stuff they don't use themselves.

I'm researching buying 3-4 laser engraver/cutters right now. three smaller desktop size and a larger 1390 or 1325. As it represents a large capital investment, with a similar further investment in 12 months, if all goes well, I'm in no hurry to jump in bed with a specific manufacturer. I've sent out requests for information to half a dozen manufacturers. Two - well known and often talked about on here - have been given the thumbs down straight away because they have shown an inability to follow basic instructions or to answer questions fully.

Don't accept half-assed.

The leading vendor currently is one that is less well-known in the US, but well-known in Australia/New Zealand, which is where I will be based. He's not the cheapest, but is responsive and thorough, which makes me think the company is also responsive and thorough.

When I've made some bone-headed questions/demands, he's patiently explained why it isn't such a good idea - such as going for a higher-spec chiller with multiple outlets to service two machines. If it goes down, I will have two down machines, not one - doh!

The other thing he recommended that none of the other vendors did, was to get shipping insurance. At 4% of the shipped price with a $300 excess, it makes sense when you have $12k in the mix.

I will likely visit the factory before I place the order.

From a couple of decades of dealing with Chinese suppliers, I can give you a couple of pieces of advice: Don't tell them your budget - or your machine will magically come within your budget. Be specific about what you want - you want a honeycomb and knife table, auto-focus and pass-through, but the machine spec doesn't have it? Just ask. Tell them what you want, let them decide a solution.

And be specific about getting fully-detailed quotations including part specifications, warranty and support. If they can't or won't give you a full breakdown of the unit, walk away.
    Above suggestions are really helpful for newbie, Great!

www.thunderlaser.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Last edited by ledaero; 02-14-2019 at 11:15 PM.

Some great pointers there.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Some great pointers there.
    Tried to send you a PM, but you’ve either got it turned off or haven’t hit the minimum posts, yet.

Hi ledero,

You offer lots of good points.

I found the name AEON from this forum. Soren seems to be knowledgeable and he recommends them. So went to do the research. Turkish machine made in China. Some sort of JV maybe? IDK. But certainly seems that the reports here, even from the dealer who seems to like touting for business here, is credible. At least from an outsiders perspective. I would surely feel more comfortable buying from them then Ying.Jing.Dong.Fang.Wu.Ha Co etc. Man who are these little companies?

My initial approach to this was to buy the largest small machine I could, hence the 900 x 600 table size.

I was approaching this from the point of view that I know little to nothing about these machines so was looking to buy a 1st machine, a good one though, use it, learn it, then upgrade to a much bigger better machine later.

That approach lets me learn and see what these machines really can do, cant do and lets me see what I really need for my intended work.

My confidence level in buying a Chinese product is little to none. I dont have high expectations of anything Chinese - they are not much good in my view. If you want the best you need to buy American or European. Lets hope I am proven wrong, but I highly doubt it, but again lets see.

I dont have too many specs right now as I dont know what i am looking for, hence a good upper tier brand is a safe bet for me. Cost more yes, but you get more. I dont think many would argue with that logic.

Out of China I have come to learn I want a Reci Tube. You have filled in some other parts to look for, such as...... HiWin for transport and bearings, Trocen for controllers.

Good to know, so thanks for that.

I would be very interested in knowing the machine/s you have selected and why. Also visiting the factory would be an eye opener. Clean tidy well run factory probably points to a better built machine. If they have the mind set to be clean and well run then that probably carries through to the work they do.

All in all, your points are excellent and will help many people who end up here looking for info on what Chinese machine to buy.

Thanks for your time, much appreciated.