Considerations when buying a fiber laser

Thread: Considerations when buying a fiber laser

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Considerations when buying a fiber laser

Hey folks,

I've been really happy with my CO2 laser the last couple of years and recently started thinking of adding a fiber laser to get into metals. The plan is to go with Chinese import since 1) I've have had success with previous imports, 2) I probably can't afford anything else (I do this for fun :-) ).

What are some things that are specific to fiber lasers that I should look after?

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to fiber, here are some basic questions I've collected so far:

1. do fiber lasers require maintenance at a level higher than CO2 lasers?
    2. is it a must to get the supplier to send a technician to do the initial installation or can a savvy person DIY it?
    3. other than gases such as oxygen and nitrogen, are there other consumables when it comes to fiber?
    4. what is the life time of a fiber laser? does the laser deteriorate over time like a CO2?
    5. enclosed vs. flatbed:
      1. how dangerous are flatbed machines?
      2. do they generally serve different purposes, e.g. it seems the enclosed ones are advertised as having higher precision?
      3. are enclosed generally higher end and thus at a different price level?

6. are the fumes toxic/smell and need extraction like in a CO2?
    7. are there "entry level" fiber lasers in the price range of $20k or do they all start at the $40k and above (seems like it from the quotes I've gotten so far for 1500W).
    8. how sensitive is a fiber laser to dust? is it crazy to have it in a space where wood work is being done?

Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Considerations when buying a fiber laser

1) There are no mirrors to align or clean. However you need to change nozzles according to what you are cutting and they need to be replaced from time to time. There is also a protective lens that needs regular replacing. Overall a fiber laser is quite low maintenance.
    2) There are a lot more things to learn with a fiber so I would not skimp on having a technician come and set it up and train you. It's included in the price I paid for mine, I just have to provide accommodation and meals for the technician when he is here.
    3) As mentioned already, nozzles and protective lenses. Also the slats will wear out eventually but you can cut new ones yourself on the fiber.
    4) 100,000 hours life on the source - much longer than a CO2 tube. I don't know if they deteriorate over time but I wouldn't expect so. They are solid state devices.
    5) There is always more risk of exposure from an un-enclosed machine. If you have employees around then in many countries they would be a no-go. Mine is open but I'm just me and I will wear protective glasses and clothing around the machine. The small enclosed machines may have ballscrews which can be more precise than rack and pinion. With an enclosed machine you really need an exchange table so you can swap sheets and get at the cut parts. That makes them more expensive than an open machine.
    6) There is a lot of dust than needs to be extracted. The dust from stainless can contain hexavalent chromium. Galvanized steel will give off toxic fumes. Always ensure adequate ventilation/extraction.
    7) I don't think I would touch a machine much below 40K. This is what my 1kW machines has set me back incl. shipping and duty. Buy from a manufacturer, not a trading company.
    8) Crazy? Yes! Wood dust, oxygen and sparks is a very bad combination - keep the machine separate from the woodworking area.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by epilotdk View Post
    1) There are no mirrors to align or clean. However you need to change nozzles according to what you are cutting and they need to be replaced from time to time. There is also a protective lens that needs regular replacing. Overall a fiber laser is quite low maintenance.
    2) There are a lot more things to learn with a fiber so I would not skimp on having a technician come and set it up and train you. It's included in the price I paid for mine, I just have to provide accommodation and meals for the technician when he is here.
    3) As mentioned already, nozzles and protective lenses. Also the slats will wear out eventually but you can cut new ones yourself on the fiber.
    4) 100,000 hours life on the source - much longer than a CO2 tube. I don't know if they deteriorate over time but I wouldn't expect so. They are solid state devices.
    5) There is always more risk of exposure from an un-enclosed machine. If you have employees around then in many countries they would be a no-go. Mine is open but I'm just me and I will wear protective glasses and clothing around the machine. The small enclosed machines may have ballscrews which can be more precise than rack and pinion. With an enclosed machine you really need an exchange table so you can swap sheets and get at the cut parts. That makes them more expensive than an open machine.
    6) There is a lot of dust than needs to be extracted. The dust from stainless can contain hexavalent chromium. Galvanized steel will give off toxic fumes. Always ensure adequate ventilation/extraction.
    7) I don't think I would touch a machine much below 40K. This is what my 1kW machines has set me back incl. shipping and duty. Buy from a manufacturer, not a trading company.
    8) Crazy? Yes! Wood dust, oxygen and sparks is a very bad combination - keep the machine separate from the woodworking area.
    Thanks for the detailed response.

If you don't mind sharing, where did you get yours from and what are its specs?

I've received a recommendation on https://www.hsglaser.com/, from the conversations I've had with their sales rep, they seem to make quality machines and care for the customer.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have bought a Leiming open bed 2500x1300mm with 1000W Raycus source, Precitec head, Schneider servos and drivers, Bochu controller.

I have never dealt with HSG so cannot say anything about them.