Universal Laser Systems (ULS) VLS 4.60 Laser Replacement

Thread: Universal Laser Systems (ULS) VLS 4.60 Laser Replacement

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Universal Laser Systems (ULS) VLS 4.60 Laser Replacement

About 8 years ago I purchased a 50w laser from ULS in Scottsdale AZ which I have used intermittently for prototyping and light production. Total hours are between 100-200 hours. I have noticed while trying to cut 1/4" acrylic that it will go all the way through for about 10-12 inches, then the power tapers off till it is barely scratching the surface.

It is located in a basement garage in Salt Lake City that stays relatively cool during the summer, very cold in the winter.

It has a 50W sealed metal laser tube, so there is no water chiller, I would say that about 70% of it's time has been spent at 100% power, I recently read that may not be good for it, and that it may be that I have ruined the laser head. Any thoughts on that?

I am curious if anyone has swapped out their metal tube for a glass tube? I haven't called ULS but I am sure they are going to want $5-8k for a replacement compared to a $130 glass tube, and considering my infrequent usage I may not notice a difference. The specs say I can put in a 60W laser, but I would love to go higher if possible. Here is the control module for the laser:

Universal Laser Systems (ULS) VLS 4.60 Laser Replacement-20181225_201332-jpg

There seems to be just the two pins that could be redirected to a glass tube, then there are some DC power wires (the grey wires going to the fan) that could trigger a relay for a water pump.

Can I use the output wires and send it's signal through an amplifier to get higher output for a 200W laser tube? I would love to keep cutting 1/4" acrylic, but if I could do it faster and at a lower power setting so I don't max it out all the time that would be great.