Color Filling Laser Engraved Items

Thread: Color Filling Laser Engraved Items

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Color Filling Laser Engraved Items

I have been testing out different inks to color fill my laser engravings on painted metal items, but am not having good luck with the inks being permanent. Have tried a few different acrylic inks, and now on to what says its enamel (but still acrylic) not sure how its going to turn out. Anyone have any input on a more permanent ink?

Below is what I am doing and trying to accomplish:

I am laser engraving powder coated metal flats, and the laser does a great job removing the powder leaving the metal below exposed. The metal underneath must be polished to look good, which is time consuming, and limits me to only one color. I have been experimenting with color filling the engraving, as it is just deep enough to fill with ink and squeegee the remainder off. The result is excellent, has many color to choose from, but needs to hold up to everyday use and water which my samples have not.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Color Filling Laser Engraved Items

Either oil or enamel pigments would be where I'd be looking. Enamel would likely be the most successful option, given its durability when dry.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GerryG View Post
    Either oil or enamel pigments would be where I'd be looking. Enamel would likely be the most successful option, given its durability when dry.
    I picked up what says it’s an enamel yesterday. Instructions say to cure 4 days, oven for 30 min at 350 degrees. Going to try it.

In the past I masked the part with tape prior to laser engraving then spraying an enamel, pulling the mask when dry. This worked, but was time consuming and the paint would sometimes bleed under the tape.

These parts are going to the end user, so I need the most durable finish possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

When we engrave , we paint our panels with 2 pack paint then fill the engraving with 1k acrylic paint, then we are able to wipe over the engraving with turps, which leaves us with this type of finish.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by riche543 View Post
    When we engrave , we paint our panels with 2 pack paint then fill the engraving with 1k acrylic paint, then we are able to wipe over the engraving with turps, which leaves us with this type of finish.

What brand acrylic ink are you using for the fill in. This is pretty much what I’m doing, just not Aircraft.

Those are very nice by the way!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MW3Designs View Post
    What brand acrylic ink are you using for the fill in. This is pretty much what I’m doing, just not Aircraft.

Those are very nice by the way!

So it’s just pressure pack (spray can) acrylic paint from any car shop really.
    So we can wipe excess away with turps as it doesn’t effect the 2k paint around it if that makes sense,
    Hope it helps you.
    Cheers
    Riche