Newbie Is this a decent price for this used Epilog?

Thread: Is this a decent price for this used Epilog?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Is this a decent price for this used Epilog?

Hello everyone,

New to the board and the industry. I am currently looking for a unit that I can play around with in my garage, and possibility eventually do some small side business stuff. It needs to engrave mostly, but would also like it to cut wood and Acrylic for future use.

I have been looking at the Boss 1416, mostly based on price. I realize its Chinese and they just resell it, but they have US support and I don't have to worry about the logistics of getting it as I live in Canada.

There is recently posted a Epilog Mini 24 in my area on a buy/sell site. Only thing is, its a 2006 model #8000 laser system. The owner says the bulb is 6 years old and wants under $6000 for it.

I have read on numerous occasions that these units don't last forever anymore and they should be replaced every 7-10 years. What do you guys think, for hobby and learning, would this unit still be sufficient and are there parts still available?

Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Is this a decent price for this used Epilog?

6K could be a good price for a used Mini 24 however there are 3 important things you need to find out:
    - How many watts is the laser source?
    - Has the laser source been replaced or serviced?
    - The operating hours of the current source?

This will also give you an idea of the condition of the mechanical components and the motors. I don't know what kind of motors Epilog use for these model - brushed or brushless. In general, brushed motors need to be replaced after 6-7 years of active use.

I noticed there is a 30W Zing on sale on eBay in near new condition for 6.2K. It could be a good alternative. The Zing line is equipped with stepper motors. They are not as accurate and fast as the SERVOs in the Mini, but may be good enough for your needs, additionally, they don't require replacement.

Last edited by Storen; 11-13-2018 at 03:31 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Seller says the unit itself has about 300hrs on it, the cartridge has under 50hrs. Its a 40watt unit.

Downloads
    Uploads

These are unrealistically low numbers for a 10-12 years old machine, but if true, the price is excellent.

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree, is there any way to tell from logging into the machine?

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't know. Maybe call Epilog and ask them if this information is stored in the machine and is it possible to reset it.
    Additionally, do they keep a record of the machines serviced by them in the past several years?
    Epilog are known for their good aftersale support, they may be able to advise you on how to inspect the machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, Ill do just that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Storen View Post
    6K could be a good price for a used Mini 24 however there are 3 important things you need to find out:
    - How many watts is the laser source?
    - Has the laser source been replaced or serviced?
    - The operating hours of the current source?

This will also give you an idea of the condition of the mechanical components and the motors. I don't know what kind of motors Epilog use for these model - brushed or brushless. In general, brushed motors need to be replaced after 6-7 years of active use.

I noticed there is a 30W Zing on sale on eBay in near new condition for 6.2K. It could be a good alternative. The Zing line is equipped with stepper motors. They are not as accurate and fast as the SERVOs in the Mini, but may be good enough for your needs, additionally, they don't require replacement.
    Zing is not real Epilog. This is economy version with stepper motors instead of servo motors.

CNC lasers, constructions, service