New tube and I've still got problems !

Thread: New tube and I've still got problems !

Default New tube and I've still got problems !

I've got a GWeike LG6040N and a few weeks ago it was starting to get a bit erratic, 6mm not cutting through cleanly, smokey cuts, but then it seemed to cut OK for a few jobs. Really hard to nail down a specific problem. Cleaned and aligned optics but still misbehaving. Decided that the 2 year old RECI 80watt tube was probably playing up so treated the machine to an 90watt SPT tube and new optics.

They are now fitted but I've still got issues.

The beam combiner lens is reflecting some of the laser beam into the back of the tube case? I've cleaned it tried it both ways round. I've now removed it!

I've done some tests in clear acrylic block, stepping up an 10% power increments at 15mms, it gives me a nice regular increase in cutting depths when looked at side on.

I still can't cut 6mm birch ply, it is just visible at 15 mms 100% power.

My mates put his meter on the power supply and it seems to step up in increments in relation to the power settings on the job your cutting. It does max at 32mA though and I believe the STP 90 watt tube needs 26mA. Can this be adjusted on the PSU and would this cause me problems?

I've also in desperation reinstalled Lasercut 5.3, this hasn't made any difference.

Sorry it's a bit rambling, but I'm not really a techy and I'm at a bit of a loss as to what the problem is or where to look next! Controller, PSU, I'll probably ending swapping components out until the problem goes!

Thanks for any advice.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Midlifecyclist; 10-22-2018 at 08:07 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New tube and I've still got problems !

Have you checked the state of the optics?

Thanks for the reply GerryG,

The optics are all new and I'm cleaning them when needed.

I've got the final alignment bang on, if I adjust the Z axis from the focal point and do test fires every inch I get nice concentric circles.

The one thing I have noticed is that without the nozzle on the cuts cleaner and less smokey. There are also two white marks in inside the cutting nozzle, these could be old marks as I don't see how the focused beam could be hitting the wall of the nozzle!

More confusion!

Downloads
    Uploads

On my LG500 I had to lower the head just a little as the mirror was set back to far. The beam still hits the final mirror in the same spot all over the bed but just a little higher. Before I lowered it the beam would catch the side fo the nose cone or come out slanted.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Midlifecyclist View Post
    The one thing I have noticed is that without the nozzle on the cuts cleaner and less smokey. There are also two white marks in inside the cutting nozzle, these could be old marks as I don't see how the focused beam could be hitting the wall of the nozzle!

More confusion!
    Sounds like you've found your problem. This isn't the first one I've heard of that's hitting the inside of the nozzle - you may have to adjust the head geometry a bit - there's a few ways of doing it, but shimming the final mirror a bit to effectively move the laser reflection across inside the head a bit is usually the easiest way, IME.