Build Thread New G Weike LG900N CO2 Laser purchase thread! - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New G Weike LG900N CO2 Laser purchase thread!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New G Weike LG900N CO2 Laser purchase thread!

OK nevermind! I figured it out: the big red emergency stop button was engaged, and I didn't realize it. You must rotate it a little for it to pop up and disengage and allow the machine to turn on. Once I did that I was up and running, could move the head around, pulse the laser, etc. Fun!

Downloads
    Uploads

So far the laser is working out very well. I already used it for a small project for the kids robotics team, and then also cut out a Hilbert curve from cardboard, and then this fun twirl from both foamboard and acrylic: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:389075

I can see it will take some experience to learn the best speed/power for each material.

I have a few questions/observations, in case anyone knows the answers:

* I don't think I received any manual -- the CD seems to be just RDWorks; I've asked G Weike but likely won't hear back for a few days

* Does this laser (G Weike LG900N) support ethernet/wifi connectivity? So far I've been using the U-Disk only (USB thumb drive)

* The blower is crazy loud; I'd like to buy a quieter replacement. Does anyone have recommendations?

* The little control panel draws a nice picture of what's being cut, showing where the laser head is cutting in real time, etc., however mine is flipped (mirror image) on the X axis (left is right and right is left); is there some setting on the machine to flip it back?

* Cutting acrylic smells awful, even with the exhaust fan blowing out through a window; I'm wondering why I even smell anything, since the exhaust fan should be pulling all the smells outside

* There is a little label on the machine saying I should keep the laser current at <= 25 ma to preserve the laser tube's life, but accomplishing this is somewhat tricky -- I see the max/min power 1/2, and reduce that, but then the speed that the laser is moving somehow also affect the current consumed.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mikemccand View Post
    So far the laser is working out very well. I already used it for a small project for the kids robotics team, and then also cut out a Hilbert curve from cardboard, and then this fun twirl from both foamboard and acrylic: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:389075
    That's a nice design - I'm faintly tempted to run off a copy of that for myself.

I can see it will take some experience to learn the best speed/power for each material.
    Yup, that's part for the course. The software that goes with it (assuming you're using RDWorks or something similar) will allow you to save a library of settings, but I find it's best to write a hard copy, in case something goes bad with your software. That said, since you're using a RuiDa controller, I heartily recommend looking into Lightburn instead - it's a great software package that's regularly updated, and is very fairly priced, given the featureset.

* I don't think I received any manual -- the CD seems to be just RDWorks; I've asked G Weike but likely won't hear back for a few days
    TBH, this isn't abnormal in my experience. Spend time learning the software features - the software manual can be found here.

* Does this laser (G Weike LG900N) support ethernet/wifi connectivity? So far I've been using the U-Disk only (USB thumb drive)
    Ethernet yes, wifi no, unelss there's some weird extraneous hardware attached.

* The blower is crazy loud; I'd like to buy a quieter replacement. Does anyone have recommendations?
    Not so much. BOFA kit is generally pretty quiet, but reeeeally expensive

* The little control panel draws a nice picture of what's being cut, showing where the laser head is cutting in real time, etc., however mine is flipped (mirror image) on the X axis (left is right and right is left); is there some setting on the machine to flip it back?
    I've never found a way of doing so, but to be honest, I've not really looked.

* Cutting acrylic smells awful, even with the exhaust fan blowing out through a window; I'm wondering why I even smell anything, since the exhaust fan should be pulling all the smells outside
    You'll be lucky to eliinate all smells. That's a pretty significant amount of air to be cycling out in a short space of time, especially when we're talking about vapour dispersal from superheating material.

* There is a little label on the machine saying I should keep the laser current at <= 25 ma to preserve the laser tube's life, but accomplishing this is somewhat tricky -- I see the max/min power 1/2, and reduce that, but then the speed that the laser is moving somehow also affect the current consumed.
    To be honest, I wouldn't worry too much about it - that's largely there to stop people from using the thing at 100% power all the time. Use the machine at the power and speed settings that you need it to be at - the worst ting that can be done to a glass laser tube (aside from smasking it of course) is to leave it idle. They slowly outgas over time, so get the most you can out of it while it's still good. To allay your next concerns, I've had a few years out of some tubes (under heavy daily use), so I wouldn't worry too much about the lifespan of them.

Last edited by GerryG; Today at 09:46 AM. Reason: missing quote tags

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234