Oxygen consumption on 150 watt C02 laser

Thread: Oxygen consumption on 150 watt C02 laser

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Oxygen consumption on 150 watt C02 laser

I have a Boss HP-3655 laser that I mostly run for cutting veneer.

I also cut stainless sheet using a metal head with oxygen assist on the same machine. It does this very well and I am pleased with the results however
    Boss tells me that the oxygen pressure should be set at 60 PSI for the machine to cut without burring on the bottom. That is great however it consumes gas at a phenomenal rate. I have experimented and found I can turn the PSI down to 20 to 25 and still have reasonable cuts that with a little sanding still look great. No problem.

I am cutting a series of small 1/8" holes where the gas is turning on and off for each hole. With the way the machine works the solenoid turns the oxygen on at least 1 second before each hole cut then turns it off when it stops firing.

I would like to reduce the amount the time the gas solenoid opens before the laser fires, lets say to 1/2 second. This would overall save on gas consumption.

Boss says there is not a software setting fix for this where I could change the solenoid open time before it fires.

Not sure if there is a way around this problem but I know its wasting a lot of gas each time the laser fires.

Any ideas would help.

Thanks
    Ted

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Oxygen consumption on 150 watt C02 laser

I’m looking at that cutter. What do you estimate your current oxygen consumption rate on Metal is? Any info will help.