Laser turn on and off questions

Thread: Laser turn on and off questions

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Laser turn on and off questions

Vectric 8.5
    Mach3

Just purchased a laser and PS from BangGood (EleksMaker)
    2500mW V2.0. PS = 12VDC 2 amps ( it came with a fan on top of the laser and this power supply.)

I wanted to add it to my CNC for engraving and light cutting.

However in emailing a friend it seems that I have not purchased the correct laser for what I want to do. He said that if the laser is controlled by switching the PS on and off the laser will self destruct quite quickly, and that I need to control the ON/OFF cycle of the laser via a TTL board. If this is correct I may have purchased the wrong laser.

I know nothing about lasers or their configuration.

I looked on eBay and found several TTL boards, they basically have four connections:
    FAN OUT: Two wires to the fan (A)
    LD OUT: I’m guessing to the Laser (B)
    12V DC IN: The 12V DC from the transformer (C)
    ANALOG IN: The TTL on/off voltage, used to turn the laser on and off. (Possibly 5VDC) (D)

The below is what I think could be done to enable me to properly control the laser.
    There are only two wires out of the PS and into the Laser/Fan module.
    Could I remove the fan and separate the two wires to the laser and I’m guessing a internal connection to the laser.
    Connect the fan wires to (A) of TTL board.
    Connect the laser wires to (B) of the TTL board
    Connect the two wires from the transformer to (C) of the TTL board
    That leaves the Analog connection (D). Would that connect to possibly a 5VDC source?

Again it’s obvious I know nothing about lasers but I really would like to add one to my CNC.

Need help and advise.

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Laser turn on and off questions

I would work on the electronics separate form the laser. Create a series of lines and drive an LED. Lasers normally have an on off signal and a beam power signal. Beam power could be a voltage well under 5 volts.
    Even when you are engraving you create smoke. Consider something to deal with smoke when your machine is open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Dean,
    Maybe I didn’t explain my situation clearly or I don’t under lasers, which is likely, but I’m trying.

The laser/ PS that I purchased only has two wires coming out of the PS and going into the laser to run the fan and laser. So don’t think it has a separate beam voltage.

And to me I expected at least two pair of wires going to the laser module, one pair for the fan at 12VDC and a second pair that would be a control, ON/OFF of the laser.

What I want to do is add a control board to:
    1. Power the fan with a constant 12VDC.
    2. Have a pair of lines out of the board going to the laser controlling ON and OFF
    3. A pair of wires going into the control board with a constant 12VDC
    4. Another pair of wires going to the board from the PC handling the beam voltage at 5VDC controlling ON/OFF.

Sorry if I was confusing in my original post.
    I’ll try and add some photos which can communicate what I’m trying to do.
    What I have is on the right what I want to add is on the left, not necessarily this item, but a board that does the same function..

I need to control the intensity of the laser as well as the ON/OFF cycle. That is exactly what I need the board to do.
    Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Laser turn on and off questions-8e2ad3ab-6043-4c37-95ac-1787acc3ac0b-jpeg   Laser turn on and off questions-90d2e02c-46ea-4358-aad1-a0922cab8384-jpg  
    Last edited by Mr.Chips; 08-26-2018 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Clarify text

Downloads
    Uploads

My guess is 12v fan power input is power for the laser. Might not be needed if ps direct to laser
    Output for laser controls the beam on off.
    12v power in is just powering the board and laser if connected.
    5v modulation is 0 to 5 v TTL which controls the on off of the beam. It’s possible that 5v is full on or off and less volts regulates the beam power meaning less power. You would have to play around to make sure.
    Be very careful with your eyes around this thing. Beam reflections can damage your eyes. Get glasses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk