I'm thinking of getting a small LED laser, to be able to substitute it for the router on my DIY CNC mill. It seems one can get .5 to 2 watt lasers these days for under $100, and it'd be fun to play with, and I'd get to trade hearing protectors for safety goggles. The mill is controlled by LinuxCNC.

I'm trying to figure out how much laser to get. In the .5 watt range, it sounds like paper is pretty much all one can cut, so I'd like more than that, I think. I'd like to be able to do cardboard, maybe even very thin veneer. And engraving (i.e., wood-burning) as well. Mainly, if more power will get me more flexibility, I'm willing to pay a little extra.

But here's what I haven't been able to figure out: one controls the intensity of a laser cutter by pulsing the beam, and by changing the speed of the cut. Cut faster, less "burn per inch". Or, chop the beam -- again, less burn per inch. Now, my mill is not fast -- 50 IPM max. I don't want to get too much laser, and not be able to move it fast enough for it to not burn what I'm cutting, or to leave little dotted lines, or have some other bad effect that I'm not envisioning.

Any advice?

paul