Anyone have suggestions for a good Canada based customs broker/importer?

Thread: Anyone have suggestions for a good Canada based customs broker/importer?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Anyone have suggestions for a good Canada based customs broker/importer?

Hey

New to the forum but ive lurked for a while. I've finally selected my laser setup, it will be shipped to a Vancouver Port and now im trying to hunt down a decent, hopefully affordable brokerage company that will clear the crate with customs, and then forward it to my home address where hopefully the laser will be delivered (or even to a warehouse in my city would be fine). Sadly this topic seems like a huge mess when trying to find information online, has anyone used a canadian based company to bring their laser through the process and to their door, or heck, id even take suggestions for an international company that operates in both the USA and up here.

Thanks a ton for any help guys

-Alex

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anyone have suggestions for a good Canada based customs broker/importer?

Do you have CBSA customs agency office near you? If so what I have done in the past is use a bonded carrier to bring it from the place on entry to their local bonded warehouse where I have filled in the B13 etc at the local CBSA, pay any taxes and/or duties then take the release to the warehouse to release it and get it delivered.
    All the forms are on the site and help is available from CBSA.
    Failing that, the yellow pages should show all the brokerage companies where a phone call can tell you if they can handle it, at a fee of course.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anyone have suggestions for a good Canada based customs broker/importer?

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Do you have CBSA customs agency office near you? If so what I have done in the past is use a bonded carrier to bring it from the place on entry to their local bonded warehouse where I have filled in the B13 etc at the local CBSA, pay any taxes and/or duties then take the release to the warehouse to release it and get it delivered.
    All the forms are on the site and help is available from CBSA.
    Failing that, the yellow pages should show all the brokerage companies where a phone call can tell you if they can handle it, at a fee of course.
    Al.
    Hey man, thanks for replying

Yea we do have a CBSA office in the city up near the airport. So if im understanding this properly id contact a bonded carrier have them move the parcel from the Vancouver port warehouse to a winnipeg based warehouse and then id go fill out the paper work, clear it myself and just pick it up with a truck. Actually sounds pretty good, should only need to pay for the carriers relocation service then plus whatever tick tack charges the process involves. I looked it up and says duty on laser machines is 0%, so in theory it should be decently cheap to do this.

Happen to know a good bonded carrier youd be able to recommend? haha

Either way thanks a million man, this gives me a direction to refine my search!

-Alex

**edit: just on the CSBA website and i think this "Courier low value shipment program" is just the thing. Combined with a bonded carrier to get it to winnipeg, sounds like a near perfect solution....

Downloads
    Uploads

I can't remember the name's but if you contact local transport companies they should be able to help you out, also where I am, CBSA has a customs warehouse where bonded goods are dropped off for yourself to clear. I have always cleared my own customs this way, you may want to visit the local CBSA for heads up, I know when I started they told me they will run through the B13 for me and then I am on my own.
    Look up the customs tariff No, either at the CBSA or online, unless you already have it.
    The transport co usually delivers it free after clearing their warehouse, if delivered to the CBSA, you have to pay or pick it up yourself, this is why it is an advantage if you find someone with a bonded warehouse.
    I imagine, different areas vary.
    P.S. I also do this with UPS on a smaller scale.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

That should be form B3-3 not B13 which is for export!
    Al.

Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Alex,

I'm also in Vancouver BC and I also recently had a laser cutter imported to Vancouver port. In my case I just had it delivered to the port and picked it up myself (with the help of a friend) by renting a cube van.
    It wasn't easy, but with help it is do-able.
    Anyway, for a broker I went with "AllCargo Express". Specifically I worked with Young-Sil Kim, based on a recommendation from a friend. It was a smooth and simple process, they talked directly with the supplier and I had no issues.

Best of luck with your endeavour!

- Eoin

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply Eoin, yet another option in this great adventure for me to investigate haha. I'll drop them an email and then on tuesday ill be swinging by the CSBA office to talk to them, heck i might actually be ready to order this sucker soon

Out of curiosity what kind of laser did you get? Ive been studying this stuff for a while and the China "upgraded" brands seem pretty spot on for what i need it for (cutting 1.5mm acrylic and light duty engraving). I figure at the price im paying i could afford to replace every moving part on the machine if it broke down and still come in 4-5 times less then the more expensive brand name USA/EU lasers. That and i greatly despise shopping when the prices are not displayed openly. lol