How can I work out if a material is 'laser safe'?

Thread: How can I work out if a material is 'laser safe'?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default How can I work out if a material is 'laser safe'?

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster, sadly I couldn't find an answer to my question this time

I'm having trouble working out if a particular material is 'safe' to run on one of my lasers. I've got the datasheet for the material and it 'looks OK' but, other than putting it in the machine and potentially setting stuff on fire or releasing dangerous gases what is the best way to judge if something is 'safe'?

The material in question is a closed cell polystyrene foam used in insulation, I've cut similar stuff just fine but want to be sure before I do myself or a machine any damage! It would be useful to know a general procedure for working the safeness of something out too as I often want to try and cut something.

Thanks for the help

Jack

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How can I work out if a material is 'laser safe'?

If the MSDS or SDS shows that the material contains any sort of halogenated compound, say chlorine (Cl), bromine (Br) or fluorine (Fl) that would be an indication that the material is probably not laser safe. You can check plastics for chlorine content as shown in this video:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you very much for the reply, I forgot to say so when I saw it! The video has been a huge help recently.

Downloads
    Uploads

HCl is not "the worst". Way more dangerous - an unfortunately not easy to recognize is HCN. It was more known as gas used during WWII at gas chambers. As fair I know it can be "generated" during cutting polyurethane foams - but I'm not chemist. If someone have enough skills please read and make TL;DR of https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/.../fam.810090305 or other sources.

Polish @ Éire