Laser + carbon fiber = ??

Thread: Laser + carbon fiber = ??

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Laser + carbon fiber = ??

Does anybody know if lasers can cut carbon fiber? If i had to guess, from the properties of graphite, id say no...which saddens me lol

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

I work at a laser cutting job shop and we cut it. We do get some fraying but otherwise no problem.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fatmonkey View Post
    Hi,

I work at a laser cutting job shop and we cut it. We do get some fraying but otherwise no problem.
    What size/type of laser are you cutting it with and how thick of material can you cut through?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i would like to know what company =) cuz i could probably use your services lol

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There have been many studies, senior projects, and thesis topics on this discussion. Try a search at www.emeraldinsight.com. From my research (it's my senior project), you're going to need 500W CO2 laser to cut around 1/8" and 1000W to cut thicker materials. Since carbon fiber has the highest heat absorbtion of the common composites, it takes much more wattage to cut. You might be able to cut 2 plies of Kevlar or fiberglass with 100W...we'll see in a month.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by composites View Post
    What size/type of laser are you cutting it with and how thick of material can you cut through?
    We cut this on our smallest machine which is a 1000 watt CO2 laser. We have cut up to 1/8" carbon fiber on that machine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had contacted a couple of companies who had high powered lasers and had been turned away. I was told that the laser would char the edges of the material... Guess not.

I have a machinist handbook that has some pictures of microscopic holes cut into carbon fiber with an excimer laser, but I think that material must have only been 1/16 or 1/32 thick.

Have you cut any kevlar?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There is some charring but none of our customers that we have cut CF for have objected. We have also cut Kevlar, same issues some fraying and some charring. Being a job shop we have had to learn how to cut a wide variety of material.