Need Help! LASER Cutting 24K Gold Sheet

Thread: LASER Cutting 24K Gold Sheet

Downloads
    Uploads

Default LASER Cutting 24K Gold Sheet

Our company just got a LASER Cutter from SiroLasertec.

It's got a number of settings, but even when the tech guy was here, he couldn't figure out a setting for cutting through 1.5mm of 24K Gold.
    I am aware that 24K is difficult to work with (it splatters, seems to burr like butter with a hot knife, and sometimes re-melts right back so it won't cut clean).

Does anyone know a ballpark good setting for the power, speed, frequency, to get a clean cut?
    We got an ugly ugly cut and had to move the nozzle away from the surface, due to the splatter getting into the nozzle hole.

I just need a starting point to go with, then I can play with the settings until we get something acceptable.

Thanks in advance.

If you do not have info on 24K gold, but know of some info on other Karat Gold, or even Silver, that would be appreciated as well, as we cut precious metals, here.

The LASER cutter's specs can be seen in this page:
    **Clicky**

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: LASER Cutting 24K Gold Sheet

Seriously? No replies?

Downloads
    Uploads

interesting machine. you probably wont get a reply easily cause most of the lasers dealt with on here cant cut metal, and the ones that can are meant for steel plate.

your laser seems purposely build for this task though. the general idea with metal like aluminium (i imagine gold is similar) is that as it melts, it turns into a mirror and reflects the laser which destroys everything. so you need to go fast with high power to vapourise the metal. thats why most laser service providers wont do aluminium at all, or only thin stuff.

if your suppliers tech guys cant figure it out though... im not sure anyone here will have anything for you.

Downloads
    Uploads

The Suppliers came from Germany and developed a setting that actually does cut, but it has a lot of issues:
    1. The splashback of the Gold gets into the nozzle.
    2. We had to move the nozzle about 1mm away from the surface in order for the beam to be wider. This also helps with the splashback but it also makes for a very dirty wide beam.
    3. Max power (5000) is used to cut. I don't have my notes on the speed but it looks like it's a slow speed, not a fast one.
    4. Only one pass.

The result is: It does cut through... but the cut is very ugly and we still have to clean the nozzle hole every two operations or so. The edge on the 24K Gold ends up uglier looking than if one attempted to cut it with a Jeweler's Saw (lots of scratchy lines and a huge burr).

The same machine cuts Steel all nice and perfect, plus fast.

I guess I just need some pointers towards a proper setting that won't be too cumbersome. I don't want to have to clean the nozzle every two cuts. I also don't want it to take forever to cut something, Lastly, if it does cut, I'd like the cut to be clean.

I will try a faster speed and maybe multiple passes?
    Or, you guys think maybe I should coat the gold in some kind of fluid that'd cut down on reflectivity?
    Most of the experiments our suppliers attempted ended up with what I call "Grilled Cheese". The gold is melted but then either splashes or melts back into the piece. Thus, when attempting high-quality thin beams, the gold just melted-cheese-bonds the two surfaces back together. At least, visually, that's kinda what it looks like.

What do you guys think?

Downloads
    Uploads

if it cuts steel great, then i imagine its having a more extreme version of aluminium issues. gold is highly thermal conductive and highly reflective. possibly the worst case for a laser (except maybe pvc).

some that cuts aluminium sheet should be able help (not me)

i can say though that coating the gold will likely do nothing. the melted gold is what reflects most, not the cold solid surface.

does the laser have air assist? not sure if that applies to anything but steel. hmm. basically that's supposed to blow away the melted metal while you cut.

Downloads
    Uploads

It has a vacuum but I'm not sure it has an actual air nozzle to blow away material as it's being cut.
    I will check tomorrow if we have cut aluminum sheets or if they provided a setting for it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Do this with a CNC water Jet (ya know abrasives) .003 diameter kerf and clean edge.
    We did very delicate satellite graphite honeycomb antenna parts 5axis Water Jet

Who woulda thought of that when you bought the machine.?

Been doing this too long

Downloads
    Uploads

Don't know if it will help but have you tried freezing the material ahead of cutting. Maybe a dip in liquid nitrogen. Just a suggestion.

Ben

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

We have not tried freezing. I do not think we can do that at this time.
    Not that we can afford another machine, but what are the drawbacks of waterjet? Is there imprecision in the cut? Is it messy? Just curious.

Downloads
    Uploads

drawbacks of water jets are generally just the mess and the high cost. likely none small enough for your needs either.

i think laser is where you want to be, but... settings are critical.

its a bit like a cnc milling machine. saying the machine can cut aluminium, titanium, stainless, inconel, doesnt mean much without know exactly what tools and speeds and feeds you need to run at.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gold is a good reflector, some co2 mirrors are coated with it.

4x4 shopbot with chicom water cooled spindle
    3x4 130watt chinese laser

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge-D-Fuentes View Post
    Seriously? No replies?
    If the company who made and sold the equipment to you can not answer, I doubt anyone on here can help. Gold reflects the beam and would make it hazardous and hard to cut. I would vote for the water jet, but who is going to harvest the flakes of gold out of the abrasive?

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

I think the most efficient way to cut pure gold material is a CNC router, cuts clean and you can collect the gold dust afterwards

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LASER Cutting 24K Gold Sheet-18768425_10209196938020107_1104385584800500828_o-1-jpg   LASER Cutting 24K Gold Sheet-18814951_10209196937780101_5314648721592785382_o-1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Beautiful work with the router.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro