CO2 laser visible?

Thread: CO2 laser visible?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CO2 laser visible?

Hi,

I've read some literature saying that co2 laser is 10.6nm wavelength and is not visible. However, I've seen co2 laser cutting machines where the laser is visible (yellowish).

Any idea why this is so?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

A CO2 laser is actualy 10.6um (microns) not nm (nanometres), the yellow stuff you're seeing is probably the laser passing through molecules that have been ablated (vaporised) from the material that is being cut.

Beleive me.. a CO2 laser is not visible to the naked eye, which only detects from about 400nm to 750nm (0.4um to 0.75um). You can detect a CO2 beam as I have many a time by inadvertantly sticking your thumb near the beam whilst aligning optics... the smell of burning thumbnail is almost immidiately followed by an intense pain and a hole in your thumbnail (DO NOT TRY THIS... it was a low power CO2 laser).

I've seen medical piccies what CO2 lasers do to eyes... you'd be horrified.

[Edit]I know that a CO2 laser doubled is 4.6- 5.8um, but this is still WAY out of the visible range.[EDIT]

I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Downloads
    Uploads

Or of course it could just be an aiming laser close coupled with the ir beam, so that the operator keeps his fingernails out of the way ?

It's like doing jigsaw puzzles in the dark.
    Enjoy today's problems, for tomorrow's may be worse.

Downloads
    Uploads

What sort of shielding is in place on these big CNC lasers? I'm wondering if reflective material e.g. chrome, aluminum, stainless, etc. a problem?

"It's all fun 'n games until someone gets an eye [burnt] out."

Downloads
    Uploads

Hmm.. dunno, an aiming laser is usualy Helium Neon (red)- 633nm. Copper vapour is greenish yellow... wonder if that's what was being machined...

"All fun and games till someone loses an eye" was the title of a book by Christopher Brookmyre.. possibly the best fiction authour ever to have existed... here's a prologue thingy

http://www.brookmyre.co.uk/book9.htm

I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.