Need Help! 60w chinese laser cutter - electrical plug sockets

Thread: 60w chinese laser cutter - electrical plug sockets

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 60w chinese laser cutter - electrical plug sockets

So I took delivery of this beast yesterday and seem to be having problems with the plugs

I got the machine where you plug the water pump, air compressor and fan into the body of the laser machine and then run a kettle lead which powers all three.

All the plugs on the 3 items are different. They all look like they go into a kind of universal socket (3 of them)

Im having problems inserting the one with 2 flat pins.

I dont want to force it in case I break something but cant see any other way than to use brute force.

Anybody offer advice on this please?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 60w chinese laser cutter - electrical plug sockets

When mine arrived, the sockets on the back of the laser case looked like they had orange plastic stuck inside of them. This is "normal" though. You just have to gently, but firmly, press the power plugs into the "universal" socket to get them to overcome some sort of resistance. The sockets are a type of universal socket than can accept plug configurations from many countries. My blower fan is a 110V fan but with a plug styled for Chinese 220V outlets. They intended the blower to be plugged into the back of the laser. I am not willing to do that though. You will find multiple posts in regard to meltdowns/fires at the sockets due to the socket wiring not being robust enough to simultaneously power the blower motor, air assist pump and cooling pump. I rewired my blower with a US socket-ed cord and now run all accessories off a power strip plugged directly into the electric circuit for my house, not the laser cabinet. Make sure to use a very good, high rating (amps and watts) power strip!!! Your common el-cheapo power strip will NOT be safe to use with these three motor-based devices.

If you are going to rewire the cord for the blower motor, take pictures at every_step of the disassembly. Both the wiring AND how all of the parts were stuffed into the housing. If you don't, you will spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to get it all, particularly the black square capacitors or whatever, to fit back into the small box. Been there, done that. Make sure the wire rating on your replacement cord is worthy. The specs should be stamped on the cord every foot or so. I made a donor out of one of the common black cords used to connect desktop computers or large monitors to the wall power socket. Its internal wiring was actually a bit larger than the wiring in the original cord.

"80 Watt” 700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-750 Laser (Similar to the Red Sail)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vrc321 View Post
    When mine arrived.....
    Thanks for that detailed answer.
    Yikes I'm a little nervous now - electricity isn't one of my strong points. I was just going to put a 3 amp plug on the air assist and plug it into the laser and run the water pump and fan extractor separately plugged direct to my house mains.
    I was thinking as RDWorks needs to know if air assist is on or not then it really needs to be plugged in to the machine.
    I'm not capable of re-wiring anything else than a plug to be honest.
    Would you advise I call a sparky out and get them to do a re-wiring job like you have done?

Downloads
    Uploads

>> I was just going to put a 3 amp plug on the air assist and plug it into the laser and run the water pump and fan extractor separately plugged direct to my house mains.<<

If your air assist is like mine and is just a small aquarium air pump, only plugging in the air assist pump itself into the back of the laser might work out just fine. It doesn't draw that much power. I know the power hog on my system is the big exhaust air extraction pump.

>>I was thinking as RDWorks needs to know if air assist is on or not then it really needs to be plugged in to the machine.<<

Your system is different than mine on that account. My system (laser plus RDWorks) can't tell if air assist is on or not even when it is plugged into the laser's power supply sockets. There is no feedback loop to the software.

>>I'm not capable of re-wiring anything else than a plug to be honest. Would you advise I call a sparky out and get them to do a re-wiring job like you have done?<<

Actually, my only rewiring was the plug for the exhaust fan, which to be clear is a big external stand alone unit. Everything else is just reorganizing where different accessories are actually plugged. Instead of plugging them into the laser itself, I used high capacity power strips plugged into the wall.

"80 Watt” 700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-750 Laser (Similar to the Red Sail)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vrc321 View Post
    >>
    Actually, my only rewiring was the plug for the exhaust fan, which to be clear is a big external stand alone unit. Everything else is just reorganizing where different accessories are actually plugged. Instead of plugging them into the laser itself, I used high capacity power strips plugged into the wall.
    Okie dokes. I think I'll err on the side of caution and get my mate to have a look. He's a pro electrician. Thanks for further advice