Need Help! Repair service for chinese 60w laser cutter?

Thread: Repair service for chinese 60w laser cutter?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Repair service for chinese 60w laser cutter?

In less than a week, my newly arrived laser cutter has presented a serious failure, in my opinion. The initialization process slams the x-carriage against the right side until it times out, skipping steps during the entire period. As this is my first real laser cutter of somewhat industrial standard, I'm learning quite a bit, but lack comprehensive knowledge and/or suitable diagnostic resources.

I've observed that the proximity detector for the y-axis has illuminated an indicator light integrated into the detector housing when the homing process reaches the appropriate location. I've also noted that immediately upon power-up, the x-axis proximity detector illuminates and remains lit for the entire time that the machine has power. I suspect that this was not the case when I first had the machine responding properly. The machine would home as expected on power-up until yesterday.

The most recent process being performed was to align the laser beam, so I was not attempting anything unusual. That process was going reasonably well until this failure.

The eBay seller must simply be an intermediate, rather than a representative of the manufacturer, as it has been suggested by the seller that I find a local repair service.

Yep, I can do that, but it's not like they are on every corner. I'd also be willing to perform the repairs myself with suitable guidance.

Should I continue to post here in hopes that someone has suitable answers and/or diagnostic steps?
    Is it more practical to seek out a local repair service? A quick Google search returned zero in my area, but I'm certain that similar services are out of area anyway, for example, CNC services have traveling techs from 60+ miles away.

What's a good practical approach to this situation?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Repair service for chinese 60w laser cutter?

On my own, I've accomplished a small bit of diagnosis. I've identified the leads from the proximity sensors for the x and y axes. Swapping them around changes nothing in regards to which is illuminated, leading me to believe that the sensor is not at fault.

Another aspect of this recent failure is that the machine apparently thinks that it is a 300 x 500 mm unit, rather than a 500 x 700 mm unit. I suggest this is due to having used the factory default option from the panel menu. I believe the 300 x 500 limit figure is correct because the y axis moves only to an indicated 300 mm distance on the bed, leaving the lower portion inaccessible.

Does anyone know how to modify these limits?

Also I have discovered that the diagnosis menu shows a red flag in the -x limit box, which is unsurprising and more-or-less confirms my understanding of the failure.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There are quite a few different DSP makers (each with their own software) so that is where you need to start. Look at the control unit and check the MFG- also which software you are using. I would suspect the limit switch. If you have Ruida- RDworks I can possibly help. Gene

4x4 shopbot with chicom water cooled spindle
    3x4 130watt chinese laser

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gene, thanks for the response. There are no markings to indicate which control unit I have, unless .Repair service for chinese 60w laser cutter?-img_1048-jpg
    Other responders also suggested that my limit switch, a Fotek PL-05N could be at fault. I found reference to test each of them. When connected to a 9v battery, I get nearly 9v on the signal lead, which drops to a couple of millivolts when the metal limit plate is overhead. At that point, the encased LED also illuminates. This leads me to believe that the limit switches are okay, but I have one on order just in case.
    The software is also RD Works, as you referenced. The RD8888 password is accepted when that specific prompt is encountered.

I've been unable to establish communications via USB, although the device driver has been installed with zero problems and shows Com15 in the device manager. I've been unable to establish communications via the ethernet, although I can ping the IP address I've assigned in the panel. I'm not certain I am attempting the communications correctly via LAN, however.

In all attempts to "read" using the software, there is a communications failure error message presented.

It is all of the above, plus the peculiar and irregular homing action that leads me now to believe a failed controller.

What would you suggest as the next sequence of steps to properly troubleshoot?

thanks
    fred

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

An update on this problem and a repeated/modified plea for assistance.

Even though I've tested the limit sensor as likely being okay, I've ordered a replacement to arrive on Saturday. That will determine the validity of that guess. I've since managed to also establish communications from the PC to the machine, both via USB and via LAN. I was surprised to note that LAN communications is faster, even across a wireless range extender with hard-wired ports. The menu for selecting communication is well hidden in a counter-intuitive location, but such is the world of software writers.

Now that I have communications, I can read and write parameters for the controller. As this is possibly a 500 x 700 mm Redsail clone, with the RDC6642G controller, I'm hopeful someone with a similarly equipped machine is willing to assist me. I'd hate to think that my parameters are so far off that the laser will self-destruct, so I've not attempted to fire the laser. The current problem is the specific parameters for speed and movement and limit configuration. The nozzle and carriage travel in inconsistent directions at power-on and with a limit sensor problem, also slam into frame structures far too frequently.

Even if you don't have a Redsail clone, your controller settings may help me if your controller matches mine. Barring that avenue of solution, I'd appreciate any contact information for a suitable technical person I can hire to resolve this problem. The local CNC tech isn't particularly local and has a five hundred dollar minimum charge!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Under the 'user' tab> Read> Home para> turn off Auto home x&y and it will not seek the homing switches. I have a much bigger machine- I don't think my settings will help you. Gene

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I did not find the specific sequence of locations you note, but did locate a check box for "Enalbe Home" which I interpreted to mean Enable Home and removed the check mark. I'll see what happens next!

When I did the Read and changed that setting, I also noted that the Laser tab now reads 2 tubes. That's pretty unlikely, isn't it? A 60w laser would be a single tube, yes? Does "2 tubes" in the menu mean that there are two independent laser tubes for more power? I want to eliminate the possibility that such a setting would indicate two internal circuits or something of that sort.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The latest versions- V8.01.18 & .19 can now control 4 tubes. My next machine will have a 150w and a 60w I think. Read your PMs. What version do you have- mine looks like this. Gene

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Repair service for chinese 60w laser cutter?-user-home-para-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

RDWorks 8.00.27 and I found the panel you presented. I always seem to be looking in the wrong place with this software. I found, changed and re-wrote to the controller the items you've recommended. I don't see any advantage currently for me to upgrade to a newer version of RDWorks until I have the problems sorted out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've heard that Ray from Rabbit Laser USA
    will often times answer questions or at least he may be able to offer affordable help, you might try and give them a call if you are still stuck, you can also try Engravers Forum
    there are a lot of knowledgeable-helpful people on there.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the link. I have recently discovered RDWorksLab.com, a forum dedicated to the controller specifically inside my machine. The forum also appears to contain a large number of users with the same machine as I, so I may be able to locate the config file I need to proceed. I investigated the Rabbit Laser site and discovered that the FAQ contains a question about assisting owners who did not purchase Rabbit Laser machines. The reply was that they prefer to support their buyers, although the answer wasn't a solid no. I'll keep that option in reserve.

thanks
    fred

Downloads
    Uploads

>>I've since managed to also establish communications from the PC to the machine, both via USB and via LAN.<<

For everyone's future reference, what did you need to do to finally accomplish this, please, particularly for USB?

Since your machine was fairly recently purchased, what happened when you tried to get warranty service? Did the seller refer you to the manufacturer and if so, how did the manufacturer respond? Being required to pay out of pocket for a service call for a new machine is not encouraging.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Having had some experience with computers over the last 30 years, I was looking for traditional menu entries for communications. I did not expect the correct location to be inside the panel on the right hand side. Once that was discovered, the rest was mostly intuitive.

I was also able to get a configuration file that returned the settings to the correct level for this specific machine, rather than the "factory reset" I so ignorantly performed.

The seller from eBay was marginally helpful. Clearly a middleman, he did not suggest to provide me with contact information for the manufacturer, although that would have been a good direction.

I was able to determine a failed (and replaced) sensor by swapping locations, which also moved the failed one into the more accessible y-axis location for replacement. That resulted in a working machine once again.

I'm awaiting the seller-offered compensation for some paid professional help that arrived too late to be useful, as well as for the relatively inexpensive sensor.

With focusing/alignment yet to be completed, I'm looking forward to being in operation in short order. So much fun awaits!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post

I was also able to get a configuration file that returned the settings to the correct level for this specific machine, rather than the "factory reset" I so ignorantly performed.

!
    I did the same thing on my machine (factory reset) and now my 500x700mm thinks it’s a 300x300mm. Whenever I try to cut a simple rectangle the Y axis cuts dimensions fine, the x axis cuts dimensions 2 to 3 times larger than it should.

Could you share the configuration file please?

Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

On request, I've uploaded the most recent controller firmware files I have. There may be more recent versions, but I'm of the mind that suggests if it works, don't update without good cause. Of course, performing a factory reset means something is currently wrong!

Sam_W_32, consider to join up with the rdworkslab forum as well. There's daily activity there and a huge collection of laser knowledgeable people available for resolving problems.

Attached Files Attached Files