Need help with laser driver and TTL signal - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with laser driver and TTL signal

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need help with laser driver and TTL signal

Hah, same here (3D printed mount) which is why I probably never had the issue

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lol I just remade the electronics to fancy pansy on my Kissel mini.... Awesome printer which after modification is far better than stock ultimaker and lost only 150$ plus 300$ for modifications lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still Learning..... :D

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions. Will post if successful.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Finally had success by using this laser that came with driver.

445nm 2000mW 2W Blue Laser Module TTL Signal Outer Driver CNC Cutter Engraving | eBay

Worked right away and was able to control on/off and power with PWM from MACH3. For those who commented about the issues with delay start using M3/M5 commands you are correct about an extra burn at the start. I played around trying to get M11/M10 to work with no success. Perhaps my version is old and I have no internet access in the shop to update. Instead, I was able to issue an M3 command at the start of the code along with an S0 which turned the laser on with no power. Then, throughout the code, when I wanted the laser on instead of an M3 command, I just used an Sxx to what ever power I wanted and S0 to turn it off. At end of program, used M5 to turn off. Worked like a charm. See pictures below of test panels and set up.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help with laser driver and TTL signal-cnc-laser-jpg   Need help with laser driver and TTL signal-power-test-m-control-jpg   Need help with laser driver and TTL signal-power-test-s-control-jpg   Need help with laser driver and TTL signal-cnc-laser-2-jpg  

Need help with laser driver and TTL signal-img_0803-jpg   Need help with laser driver and TTL signal-img_0804-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

The S method is a new one on me, thanks for sharing - I like it!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BRobbins View Post
    Finally had success by using this laser that came with driver.

445nm 2000mW 2W Blue Laser Module TTL Signal Outer Driver CNC Cutter Engraving | eBay

Worked right away and was able to control on/off and power with PWM from MACH3. For those who commented about the issues with delay start using M3/M5 commands you are correct about an extra burn at the start. I played around trying to get M11/M10 to work with no success. Perhaps my version is old and I have no internet access in the shop to update. Instead, I was able to issue an M3 command at the start of the code along with an S0 which turned the laser on with no power. Then, throughout the code, when I wanted the laser on instead of an M3 command, I just used an Sxx to what ever power I wanted and S0 to turn it off. At end of program, used M5 to turn off. Worked like a charm. See pictures below of test panels and set up.
    I have the same laser, how did you end up wiring yours up?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by biqut2 View Post
    I have the same laser, how did you end up wiring yours up?
    Hooked up power to a 12volt wall wart

I'm using this laser as a alternate to my spindle on my CNC for which I control with Mach3 through Gecko 540 controller. Between the Gecko and parallel port on my computer I use a breakout board. On the breakout board I connect the high side of the laser TTL wire to pin 17 and the other to pin 25 (ground).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the fast reply.That pretty much reflects how I have mine hooked up. I've sorted everything out except for when I issue an S command there is a momentary pause that leaves a dot on my engraved lines. I've turned off spindle delays, turned of backlash compensation, turned up acceleration to ridiculouslyhigh levels and can't seen to get rid of this little pause. I am using the spindle speed/PWM to vary th laser power which works fine except for the pause. If you have any idea whats cauing this youd be saving me much banging of my head against the wall.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by biqut2 View Post
    Thanks for the fast reply.That pretty much reflects how I have mine hooked up. I've sorted everything out except for when I issue an S command there is a momentary pause that leaves a dot on my engraved lines. I've turned off spindle delays, turned of backlash compensation, turned up acceleration to ridiculouslyhigh levels and can't seen to get rid of this little pause. I am using the spindle speed/PWM to vary th laser power which works fine except for the pause. If you have any idea whats cauing this youd be saving me much banging of my head against the wall.
    Can you post a small section of code?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is the beginning of one test program:

G90
    G0 X0 Y0
    M3 S0
    F1000
    G91
    S0
    G0 X0 Y0.333 S0
    G1 X.333 Y-.333 S20
    S0
    G0 X0.333 Y0 S0
    G1 X-.667 Y.667 S20
    S0
    G0 X0 Y0.333 S0
    G1 X.333 Y-.333 S20
    X.667 Y-.667 S21
    S0
    G0 X0.333 Y0 S0
    G1 X-.667 Y.667 S22
    X-.667 Y.667 S21
    S0
    G0 X0 Y0.333 S0
    G1 X.667 Y-.667 S21
    X1 Y-1 S22
    S0

Here is another that I tried:

G01X0Y0
    S0
    M3
    F1500
    S15 G2 R5 X10
    G2 R5 X0
    S0
    M5
    M30

The first one is code generated from a laser engraving program, the second was just written by hand to burn a circle. The first one just burns the crap out of everything because of the pauses, the second one burns dot where the circle ends.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Code should work. Sorry I can’t think of anything else now. I have a friend with a similar system and he too is running into some timing issues, a little different from you but still annoying . At some point we may try to put a scope on the signals to see if we can detect a delay, but for now, I too am stumped.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BRobbins View Post
    Code should work. Sorry I can’t think of anything else now. I have a friend with a similar system and he too is running into some timing issues, a little different from you but still annoying . At some point we may try to put a scope on the signals to see if we can detect a delay, but for now, I too am stumped.
    Ah well, thank you very much for taking a look.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast