Purchasing HSG S1390 laser cutter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing HSG S1390 laser cutter

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Purchasing HSG S1390 laser cutter

I have decided to purchase an HSG S1390 laser cutter, and so I will use this thread to document the buying process and my experience with the company. I hope this may be useful to others, as similar threads by Soren and Wade have been helpful to me.

The spec of the machine I have bought is:

S1390
    1300x900mm cutting bed size
    Leadshine hybrid servo and belt drive
    Reci4 100w laser
    5200 chiller
    Exhaust blower
    260mm motorised up/down table
    Rotary axis
    Autofocus laser

The shipped price to Portsmouth UK is $6480 which I think is a fair price for the machine spec.

Stay tuned, and I'll update as events unfold.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Purchasing HSG S1390 laser cutter

Awesome! I can’t wait to see your review.

There are few additional things, personally I would ask the vendor to do, when buying a new machine. I know HSG claim they inspect and test everything but I would insist a technician to go over my exact unit and check if the machine is well calibrated before they pack it and ship it:

- Mirror calibration - Most likely you will have to fine-tune them after you receive the laser but ask them to make an effort.

- Table flatness - The distance from all 4 corners of the table (work-bed) to the head should be precisely the same. Otherwise you will have focusing issues.

- Step size - The part dimensions (X and Y) produced with the machines should mach exactly the CAD dimensions.

- Perpendicularity of the X and Y actuators - often the actuators are not exactly at 90 degree to each-other. Ask them to check if there is a deviation and confirm it with you. An easy way to do this is to cut the largest rectangular shape (1295x895) and measure the diagonals.

Of course you should double-check all that when you receive it, but that way you will see if they stay behind the highest-standards they claim. Probably they will send you some images and videos as well, before sending it.

Last edited by Storen; 03-24-2016 at 03:08 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the advice Storen. I'll ask for these tests and the calibration to be done. I run my CNC router through mach and there is a step/mm setting which can be fine tuned to ensure 1000mm in Gcode translates to a 1000mm of movement, I guess there may be a similar setting in the Ruida interface. I've got two steppers on my CNC router y axis, one is slaved and I use a squaring routine using hall effect sensors on the A and Y rails. As the laser cutter has 1 stepper for the Y axis, the Y and A rail belts have to be adjusted to ensure the gantry is perpendicular. From a picture of the up down table it looks like there are 4 lead or ball screws, one in each corner driven by belt, I guess the the lead or ball nuts can be adjusted to get the table flat. Could it be possible to use the auto-focus to read the distance from laser nozzle to table height in various positions to check and calibrate the table flatness. I can't wait for the laser to arrive so I can see what's going on under the lid.

Last edited by Yurtman; 03-24-2016 at 07:09 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

ask if they could send you a video of the machine cutting

Downloads
    Uploads

It seems like the machine configuration I want is already built and as such I should have it in 15 days from my payment being received. I think as the configuration I want is the same as those they supply BRM: BRM 90130 - BRM Lasermachines just at a much lower price.

So far I have exchanged 29 emails with Angela at HSG and she's been very quick to respond and very helpful with information.

As a side note for UK customers, G Weike also direct sales inquiries to their UK agent. It seems in the UK, there are few Chinese suppliers that don't have a UK agent selling their machines.

This is a bit of a cheese-ball corporate video of the HSG factory, but it does show a pretty professional looking assembly and testing facilities:

Downloads
    Uploads

After contacting many Chinese laser companies, the range of responses is very different. I had some that just didn't respond, some were pushy and wanted me to order their machine on the first email, some go the extra mile to answer questions and assist the buying process. Many of the companies have many sales reps, so if anyone is thinking of approaching HSG about their lasers I would email Angela sales00@hsglaser.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am currently awaiting the arrival of a 1600 mm X 1200 mm non metal laser from G. Weike. It has dual Reci lasers. A 60 watt for engraving, and a 150 watt for cutting. It will come with a 5200 chiller, blower, Hiwin rails, motorized up down table, and Leadshine steppers. It will have 2 rotary devices. The small one is the standard four wheel unit used for engraving objects like bottles. The second is a custom made 1200 mm unit with a three jaw chuck for engraving long cylindrical objects. The machine also has narrow pass through doors front and back.
    Shipped price to Toronto Canada is $7500 USD. I think it's a pretty good price for a custom made machine. I found my sales rep Quiven very helpful.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Yurtman,

How's going with your order? Did they send the machine yet?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello all. I have received my 1620 dual head laser from G.Weike. It arrived in perfect condition, and surprisingly well calibrated. After installing the software, and sorting out the machine controls, and cleaning off the shipping grease we were able to engrave and cut immediately using the Reci 6 head. The resolution of the engraving is truly astounding! I would estimate the width of a single engraved line at .003". It appears that the harder and denser the material, such as Formica or 12,000 psi gypsum plaster,the better the result.
    The build quality of the machine is nothing short of excellent. I had ordered the machine with a single CW 5200 chiller, but they sent two, at no extra charge! Also included are two air pumps.
    The included blower is very powerful, so much so that I was able to install it on the roof of my building to reduce the ambient noise, and with a 10' vertical rise it blows like crazy. There are absolutely no fumes escaping from the enclosure at all,and we've been cutting some pretty smelly plastics.
    If I have one complaint, it lies with the manuals. What they cover is well presented. But it's what they do not cover that is frustrating. Such as, how to initiate and run the #2 laser head. I still haven't a clue. Any suggestions out there?
    All in all though, I am extremely pleased so far.
    Mark

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The typical wavelenght for a CO2 laser is 10.6µm, this means around 0.01mm.
    You can't foucs smaller than the actual wavelength.
    But if you get close to this number it means you got good quality optics and a well calibrated machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Storen View Post
    Hi Yurtman,

How's going with your order? Did they send the machine yet?
    My machine should be arriving on the 30/06, it's been on a slow boat from china for 3 weeks now. It was a bit delayed as HSG were re configuring their factory, and also I took a little longer to tweak my spec and haggle a little on price.

Metart, I'm very glad you have had a good experience with Weike laser, I did enquire about one of their machines but as they have a UK distributor I was directed to them. The markup was very high so I opted for a manufacturer that would sell to me in the UK directly.

I hope to have the machine up and running in July and I will report back with a review.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Yurtman View Post
    My machine should be arriving on the 30/06, it's been on a slow boat from china for 3 weeks now. It was a bit delayed as HSG were re configuring their factory, and also I took a little longer to tweak my spec and haggle a little on price.

Metart, I'm very glad you have had a good experience with Weike laser, I did enquire about one of their machines but as they have a UK distributor I was directed to them. The markup was very high so I opted for a manufacturer that would sell to me in the UK directly.

I hope to have the machine up and running in July and I will report back with a review.
    Hello Yurtman,

I am curious if your machine has arrived, and if so, what are your thoughts on it? I am considering purchasing one of their machines and would like to hear any feedback you have on the machine's build quality and performance. There seems to be very little information on the web from HSG laser owners, so your feedback would be extremely helpful.

Thank you!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Downunder35m View Post
    The typical wavelenght for a CO2 laser is 10.6µm, this means around 0.01mm.
    You can't foucs smaller than the actual wavelength.
    But if you get close to this number it means you got good quality optics and a well calibrated machine.
    That is what I calculate my kerf to be- good info. Thanks Gene

4x4 shopbot with chicom water cooled spindle
    3x4 130watt chinese laser

Downloads
    Uploads

We finally got the laser cutter unpacked and up and running. We installed a new CNC router earlier in July so the laser cutter installation got pushed back. I will take some pictures of the machine and post them here, in the meantime my thoughts about the machine are:

Enclosure - Well manufactured folded steel, good quality welds, sturdy and well finished, no rough cut edges. The enclosure has a number of openings/hatches which have good quick release latches and locks. The viewing window is grey tinted 5mm acrylic.

Electrics - Schneider breakers and relays, neatly laid out components and good neat wiring loom. All openings/ hatches have sensors that disable the laser. The switches are solid and easy to use. Downside was a very poor quality 4 way adapter supplied to power the blower, cooler and compressor. This went straight in the bin. Also the auxiliary power out terminal is an odd industrial 2 pin connection, this may be common in the states or other european countries but this was easily dealt with by adding a UK to Euro adapter. It is convenient using the auxiliary switch on the laser cutter to turn off these appliances. The leadshine steppers and drivers operate well and run very quietly. The auto focus proximity sensor seems to have good repeat-ability and certainly fit for purpose. The controller fitted is the Ruida 6442, I have been unable to run cutting files from a memory stick but laptop control through the laptop has been very straightforward.

Mechanics: The guides are open bearings and circular rails, I would prefer hiwins but these seem fit for purpose. Good quality belts, drives, pulleys and couplers. The rise and fall table operates well and is solid enough to support heavier materials than I will ever require.

Optics: 100w, 122w max reci 4 laser supplied in perfect and working condition. Mirrors easily adjusted, I did need to adjust mirror 2 and 3 as the focused beam was not perpendicular to the cutting bed. 50, 62 and 100mm lenses supplied, I have been using the 62mm mostly, I can't verify the quality of these but the kerf size of the 62mm lens is approx 0.2mm.

Auxiliary items: Cheap but functional blower and small compresser, S&A CW5000 chiller, tool kit, lens cleaning equipment, power leads, usb, ethernet cable, ducting, usb drive with software and comprehensive installation instructions, user manual and maintenance manual and HD works software

General summary: The build and equipment supplies far surpass my expectations and represent excellent value for money. is the first laser cutter I have owned/interrogated so I can't compare it to others on the market. But I am a mechanical engineer and I've worked as an electronic test engineer. So far this machine gives me no cause for concern.

Some contributors have said they have a cutting kerf of 0.01mm which in my view is nothing short of extraordinary. My experience and many other report a much wider kerf. Could anyone share how they achieving such small kerfs? Is it material dependent?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Yurtman,

How's the machine running so far? Do you have any complains?

Could you please post some pictures. I am especially interested in what kind of mechanical components they use and how is everting assembled.
    If the motor/drive labels are visible would you mind taking a couple of pictures of them as well?

Did you have a chance to run some precision tests? What is the situation with the perpendicularity of X&Y and the ridging effect?

Best,
    Storen

Downloads
    Uploads

Storen, I will take some pics of the mechanics in the next couple of days and post them up. I've attached a pic of some cut cast acrylic, speed was 12mm/sec at 70%power (100w tube), the edges are glossy with some light lines/ridges running perpendicular to the material face. The edges are better than acrylic I've had cut on other machines. I'd be interested to gauge how this compares to other users results. Purchasing HSG S1390 laser cutter-dscf5175-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Storen, I will take some pics of the mechanics in the next couple of days and post them up. I've attached a pic of some cut cast acrylic, speed was 12mm/sec at 70%power (100w tube), the edges are glossy with some light lines/ridges running perpendicular to the material face. The edges are better than acrylic I've had cut on other machines. I'd be interested to gauge how this compares to other users results.
    Thanks! It looks very good and clean however straight cuts come ok on most machines. The intricate curved cuts are the biggest challenge. I’ve seen very few machines that can make fine round cuts.

Some time ago I prepared a couple of test files for benchmarking the performance of different machines. So far I have the test results from: Argus, Bodor, Epilog, G.Weike, HSG (the desktop model), Shenhui, Thunderlaser, Trotec, and 3-4 other less known Chinese brands.

Here is the link to the original thread with the files:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...-software.html

If you are interested to compare, please use just plain white paper or cardboard. Lower the power to the lowest and run the samples with different speeds. At higher speeds the edges will be brighter but the ridging will be more pronounced. The details will be easier to see if you scan the samples with a desktop scanner with 300-600dpi.

Best,
    Storen

Last edited by Storen; 08-08-2016 at 08:53 PM.

HI Yurtman, I'm a newbie in the field, coming from UV printing and decided to get into crafting some creative wooden and leather products. ( mainly cutting but there are some engraving as well) I've read your post and I'm quite interested to purchase this laser cutter HSG S1390. As you've had it for a while now could you advise me if the laser cutter performed as you were expecting, the HSG after-sale support and eventually some advice in terms of the specifications? We've got a few more brands in our sight, HSG being dearer by $1800 and I was wondering if in worth spending more...Thank You in advance.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have been running the machine for a while now. Generally it cuts well and runs reliably. I have occasionally found that the y axis freezes on startup after homing, but I think this most likely to be the Ruida controller or the leadshine encoder playing up. Either way it's usually solved with an off/on cycle. After sales is ok, quick responses but be prepared to take videos to communicate problems. This is not unique, I have the same situation with Omni (CNC router). Overall, I would buy from them again. They delivered what I paid for, the build quality meets expectation. Whether the $1800 premium is justified for you I don't know, it's worth verifying the options are specced the same. As well as the controller, servo/stepper, laser specs all the other hardware items will vary is quality and will have a bearing on performance and reliability. Buying any machine from overseas without inspection carries a risk. If you end up leaning to the alternative laser cutter, try and find a customer running the machine. I bought the HSG based on feedback on this forum.

I have been running the machine for a while now. Generally it cuts well and runs reliably. I have occasionally found that the y axis freezes on startup after homing, but I think this most likely to be the Ruida controller or the leadshine encoder playing up. Either way it's usually solved with an off/on cycle. After sales is ok, quick responses but be prepared to take videos to communicate problems. This is not unique, I have the same situation with Omni (CNC router). Overall, I would buy from them again. They delivered what I paid for, the build quality meets expectation. Whether the $1800 premium is justified for you I don't know, it's worth verifying the options are specced the same. As well as the controller, servo/stepper, laser specs all the other hardware items will vary is quality and will have a bearing on performance and reliability. Buying any machine from overseas without inspection carries a risk. If you end up leaning to the alternative laser cutter, try and find a customer running the machine. I bought the HSG based on feedback on this forum.
    Hi Yurtman

Appreciate your help and quick reply.
    One more thing I would like to ask you...I was wondering if HSG are using them proper DC brushless servos or plug and play easy servo drive of leadshine? I've heard that these plug and play leadshine servos there aren't real helpful they make very little difference mostly on engraving.

Thanks
    Nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast