Chinese laser 50W, 50x30cm - bad/good stuff, mods, problems etc. - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chinese laser 50W, 50x30cm - bad/good stuff, mods, problems etc.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Chinese laser 50W, 50x30cm - bad/good stuff, mods, problems etc.

Hello. I just got my 50W laser and I'm trying to use it for some simple engraving on wood and specifically the rotary bed. I think I'm having problems with the software not interpreting the data properly. I have looked at several sites and everyone has something different to say. Do you have the settings for your laser handy. I need to adjust these before I start calling some Chinese guy in California to start troubleshooting. I am also interested in your upgrades. I am a perfectionist also, and I want to be able to set it and forget it. I don't want to spend hours adjusting and perfecting on scrap pieces and then start a production run. Thanks - any help will be greatly appreciated. - Kris

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Kkris777 View Post
    Do you have the settings for your laser handy. . - Kris
    KKriss777: Before you start using someone else setting (Im guessing your not going to get those anyways). As their setting would be of no use to you unless it was the exact setup. Perhaps another approach Would be to
    describe your exact problem along with what you have tried. along with your machine and software specs. To MUCH info is better than not ENOUGH.
    Im sure plenty of ppl here are eager to help.
    -S

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by the.sniper View Post
    KKriss777: Before you start using someone else setting (Im guessing your not going to get those anyways). As their setting would be of no use to you unless it was the exact setup. Perhaps another approach Would be to
    describe your exact patches, upgrades etc. along with what you have tried. along with your machine and software specs. To MUCH info is better than not ENOUGH.
    Im sure plenty of ppl here are eager to help.
    -S
    The 50w Chinese laser I recently bought does not operate properly on the Y axis. It seems it is not moving the full length of the input. If I put in 150mm it will only cut 95mm. It is hit or miss with it so far. Sometimes I will get a perfect engraving and other times the Y axis moves a fraction of the input. I can't figure it out at all.

I downloaded Boss Lasers RD works software and it has the latest upgrades, patches etc.. When I used the rotary table it was jacked up also. The X axis was fine, but the Y didn't move enough, thus crunching the picture and distorting it. I know it is a simple setting change somewhere, but being a novice laser guy, professional finger ****er, I need some help.

I really need this to work consistently since this is for a small business. Any and all help is appreciated. I did review Russ' Saberworks Media series extensively before it arrive and I was lightyears ahead, considering the manual and, well everything was in Chinglish or straight up Chinese.

-Thanks Kris

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am going to do exactly what you did to see what type of power is coming out of the laser. I tried to cut a simple piece of plastic and the laser got the Y axis wrong every time. The holes were elliptical also, even when I made them an even 6mm. Any suggestions please, and do you have that drawing in another file .rar maybe? I already measured it out, but I'd like to see what you came up with. - Kris

Downloads
    Uploads

Kkris777, what you are describing is most likely either one of these issues:

1. Hardware: My guess would be a loose belt pulley. Check to make sure that the set screw that tightens the belt pulley to the Y stepper motor shaft is tight. The symptoms of this would be random (non-proportional) inaccuracy in the Y axis.

2. Software: Have you changed your stepper settings using "File/Vendor Settings" (password could be RD8888 or some other combination ending in 8888)? My setting for the Y axis "Step Length" is 22.57532. If you click on the 3 dots (...) next to the box where you enter the value it will bring up a way to finetune this setting (by comparing "Graph Length", which I believe means drawn length inside RDWorks, to "Measuring Length", which is how far the laser head actually traveled.) The symptoms of this setting being incorrect would be proportional inaccuracy in the Y axis (i.e. the drawn length is always the same percentage shorter than the actual).

-robertk925

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by robertk925 View Post
    Kkris777, what you are describing is most likely either one of these issues:

1. Hardware: My guess would be a loose belt pulley. Check to make sure that the set screw that tightens the belt pulley to the Y stepper motor shaft is tight. The symptoms of this would be random (non-proportional) inaccuracy in the Y axis.

2. Software: Have you changed your stepper settings using "File/Vendor Settings" (password could be RD8888 or some other combination ending in 8888)? My setting for the Y axis "Step Length" is 22.57532. If you click on the 3 dots (...) next to the box where you enter the value it will bring up a way to finetune this setting (by comparing "Graph Length", which I believe means drawn length inside RDWorks, to "Measuring Length", which is how far the laser head actually traveled.) The symptoms of this setting being incorrect would be proportional inaccuracy in the Y axis (i.e. the drawn length is always the same percentage shorter than the actual).

-robertk925
    Robert - I just checked and my setting for the Y axis was 14.325. It was the exact value as the X axis. When selecting those dots it showed a 1 for 1 value 100mm equals 100mm, but clearly that is not what has been going on. I changed that and now back to the drawing board to see if this works. Of course I got in a 'big' order and I wanted to offer some engraving but th elast thing I want to do is promise something and not deliver it, or come up with a bunch of excuses. Thank you for the feedback. I will let you know shortly - Kris

Downloads
    Uploads

Kris, I think the you are supposed to cut a 100mm line, then change the number in the "Measuring Length" to whatever the actual measurement turns out to be. So, for example, if you cut a 100mm line but it turns out to be 75mm long, you enter 75 into Measuring Length box. Then it adjusts the current Y step size by 100/75. At least that is the way I understand it was supposed to work.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Robert - The problems that I'm having with the machine now are far beyond a simple entry adjustment for the y axis. If you see my video that I posted you will see exactly what I'm talking about. Thank you so much for the information you sent it will be applied 2 most likely the next machine I receive. Below is the beginning of the headache and games these guys are going to start playing. Why they don't have a good English speaker is beyond me. The YouTube video can be seen by anyone. they are somehow saying they can't see it when their agents in California saw it with no problems. Maybe it's the commie network over there censored. What a nightmare.

Hello friend,

Good day to you!
    Trouble recording a boot video, you can record the video I do not see the X axis or Y axis has a problem.
    Wait for your reply.

all best

Downloads
    Uploads

Kris:

Sorry, I don't see a link to a video. Is it in this thread?

So you are returning our current machine and getting another one?

-robertk925

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Kris:

Sorry, I don't see a link to a video. Is it in this thread?

So you are returning our current machine and getting another one?

-robertk925
    It was within another thread. https://youtu.be/EcNTSB8g5Cc

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, let's start again from scratch if you don't mind:
    If you move the axis in the middle position and start the machine - do the move? If they do please shut down before jamming into the final positions.
    If you have the axis in the middle and perform a homing - do they move in the right direction? If not turn the connector for the affected stepper by 180°.
    If you manuall move the axis through the controller or software, do they move in the right direction? If no see above.

Some controllers allow for the specific location of endstops, hardware and software wise that is - if yours does too please double check it is configured correctly.
    Did you check that the endstops are actually working? Asking because if the wiring is faulty or the switch itself then the machine would assume the endstop is triggered and only allow movement away from the home position.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am guessing that your stepper direction settings are reversed.

As Downunder35m says, follow these steps (with one important change, do step #3 instead of reversing the stepper connectors):

1. Manually move the laser head to the center of the bed.
    2. Keeping your hand on the power switch, turn on the machine and see which way the head starts moving (the machine always tries to find 0,0 home when first turned on). It should move towards the left-rear. If it doesn't then quickly turn off the machine.
    3. Using RDWorks, go to "File/Vendor Settings". (The default password should be "RD8888".) For "Dir Polarity" and "Limiter Polarity" switch the setting (e.g. if it is currently "Positive" then switch it to "Negative) for either/both X and Y.
    4. Keeping your hand on the power switch, turn on your machine again. It should now try to home to the left-rear, which is where the home switches are located. If it does so but still gives you the jack-hammering, turn off the machine and check all of the wiring to the home switches.

-robertk925

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am guessing that your stepper direction settings are reversed.

As Downunder35m says, follow these steps (with one important change, do step #3 instead of reversing the stepper connectors):

1. Manually move the laser head to the center of the bed.
    2. Keeping your hand on the power switch, turn on the machine and see which way the head starts moving (the machine always tries to find 0,0 home when first turned on). It should move towards the left-rear. If it doesn't then quickly turn off the machine.
    3. Using RDWorks, go to "File/Vendor Settings". (The default password should be "RD8888".) For "Dir Polarity" and "Limiter Polarity" switch the setting (e.g. if it is currently "Positive" then switch it to "Negative) for either/both X and Y.
    4. Keeping your hand on the power switch, turn on your machine again. It should now try to home to the left-rear, which is where the home switches are located. If it does so but still gives you the jack-hammering, turn off the machine and check all of the wiring to the home switches.

-robertk925
    Thank you both for the information. I will attempt to manually (prior to switch it on) move the head to the center and adjust those settings. I can't figure out why it would work the first few times like a champ, then slowly degrade after that. It seems after I attempted to use the rotary table nothing worked properly after that consistently. Then it was a process of trial and error with multiple setting changes. I couldn't rely on a file I used prior to work on expensive material on the first try. I would do several practice pieces and then get all happy it finally worked around 2330 and then start a production run of logos.

I wrote down all the settings and parameters, and already did the "Positive to Negative" change - up and there was no joy in that either. There is such a thing as a lemon machine, but I feel this is more software related. If I could get some movement out of the company that sold it, like a download for the motherboard, or possibly some replacement parts, this would be just one more workaround I've had to deal with lately. I've sent the files to these Yoohoos three times, wmv, mp4 and a YouTube link, and they can't view it....whatever. I reduced the size to a reasonable 15MB file, and gave them the link, with a caveat, view it, or find someone who can view it. I don't have time to play translation games. If you're running a business, specifically an international business, get an English speaker on board, for customer service and manual writing. The first thing they said when I called after 'Herrow' was to send me out another copy of RD works...lol. I read somewhere here they use stall tactics like this, with the thought process a business would just forget about the problem, and go away, in fact this only makes it worse for everyone.

I really needed this to work, and because I really needed this to work, well, see above. Seems like since I left military service after decades in uniform, if it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. So, the wife has me laying pavers for a damn patio out back and the laser thing gets put on hold till I get and email from Chinese Charley. Attached is some pictures. My back is hurting just thinking about it. - Kris

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese laser 50W, 50x30cm - bad/good stuff, mods, problems etc.-20160523_153020-jpg   Chinese laser 50W, 50x30cm - bad/good stuff, mods, problems etc.-20160524_135724-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

You have to write your changes to the machine

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fixtureman1 - I understand that and tried. Thank you for the tip.

UPDATE: We have engaged in a comical week long back and forth. The vendor who sold it to me, the manufacture in China, and I, just exchanging my video clips, and receiving horrible instructions in Chinglish. I have 'threatened' to go through the whole eBay resolution route if this continues. They assure me we can resolve this. Tuesday is my deadline with them and then I'll get my money back and look for another company to buy from. It's beyond a simple software fix, as the head has now slammed into the housing several times during some testing with start up reset software they sent me. My head is certainly damaged, probably fixable, but why, with a unit less than 4 weeks old that never quite worked properly out of the box. I am asking for a new one, and even willing to pay the difference for the red 60W unit (60W USB CO2 Laser Engraving Cutting Carving Machine ENGRAVER Cutter 1000mm S | eBay), with the honeycomb flooring, upgraded ventilation system and supposedly the red dot positioning light integrated within the head and not off to the side. It's Memorial Day weekend so everything is at a standstill till Tuesday, maybe Monday for the Chinaman.

I'll just pay my respect to my fallen brothers and worry about business lasers, later. I hope everyone here is having a wonderful weekend and void of the problems I've encountered with my lemon. I will certainly let you know what's going on. If anyone would like the RD reset software, I have it and can post it. If your machine was as bad as mine became, a simple change up within RD Works will not work.

Thanks again for all who gave me advise and tips.

- Kris
    Chinese laser 50W, 50x30cm - bad/good stuff, mods, problems etc.-name_and_large_logo1-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Try again. If this double posts ill just delete I guess.

So 6 months ago I bought a 50w chinese laser which laster 3 months then stopped cutting. IE no marks on the mdf/perspex but the drive etc was working. The cpu had an error 14 flashing and after some research found the PSU was the fault. Ordered new one from ebay and replaced it and it ran for about a month then stopped working again. Whilst I was arguing with the supplier I bought a second cutter and after 3 months the same thing has happened. Erro 14 flashing. Now what I would like to know is is this normal, I am trying to set up a business but i cant afford to replace the machine every 3 month. I live in Australia so the only othe ralternative is a 20k toltec and I cant afford this.

So if anyone has any help I would appreciate it other wise I guess I fold the business and keep my 9 - 5.

Cheers

angrierre, despite this machine have a lot of issues, this is not normal at all. I guess you're referring to the Laser power supply. I see 2 possibilities:
    1. You are very unlucky and received 2 broken machines and a broken spare
    2. The problem is some other part (a short-circuit, no grounding or something like that) that burns out the PSU.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by angrierre View Post
    Try again. If this double posts ill just delete I guess.

So 6 months ago I bought a 50w chinese laser which laster 3 months then stopped cutting. IE no marks on the mdf/perspex but the drive etc was working. The cpu had an error 14 flashing and after some research found the PSU was the fault. Ordered new one from ebay and replaced it and it ran for about a month then stopped working again. Whilst I was arguing with the supplier I bought a second cutter and after 3 months the same thing has happened. Erro 14 flashing. Now what I would like to know is is this normal, I am trying to set up a business but i cant afford to replace the machine every 3 month. I live in Australia so the only othe ralternative is a 20k toltec and I cant afford this.

So if anyone has any help I would appreciate it other wise I guess I fold the business and keep my 9 - 5.

Cheers
    LED 14 is always blinking on mine. I do believe the slow ~1.5 second blinking is the normal running state on the RDC644 controller.

My first PSU failed after about 3 hours. After some arguing I got a replacement and then repaired the original so I have a spare. In my case it was the switch mode controller that dropped it guts out the bottom of the package.
    Symptoms of that failure was the laser PSU was totally dead. No fan, no power LED, no laser

What is your laser PSU doing in the failed state?
    Can you share with us what model Laser power supply you have?
    Have you got an ammeter installed?

I have not put that many hours (maybe about 40) on my machine in the two years I have had it. As they come they are hobby grade, hence the hobby price. I'm sure with a better laser tube, power supply and a few tweaks like an ammeter they might do ok but I personally would not use this machine to run a business unless I had a garage full of them and some spares.

I guess at two you have made a start

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Double post will put relavent data in here.

But the cutter works as normal except the lasr does not cut.I have air pump water pump and full movement just no cut. I found the fuse had blown but havent had a chance to replace that to see if thats the only prob will let you know when I replace it.

Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello cnczone members!
    I have an issue with my laser cnc 50 w chinese cutter.
    I don't have clear cut. The cutting line is not smooth. I attached a photo with the problem. Has another member this issue?
    Thank you!!Chinese laser 50W, 50x30cm - bad/good stuff, mods, problems etc.-30020421_10216514827293040_952559385_n-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese laser 50W, 50x30cm - bad/good stuff, mods, problems etc.-30020421_10216514827293040_952559385_n-jpg  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast