Chinese laser 50W, 50x30cm - bad/good stuff, mods, problems etc. - Page 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese laser 50W, 50x30cm - bad/good stuff, mods, problems etc.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Chinese laser 50W, 50x30cm - bad/good stuff, mods, problems etc.

Hi,
    can this machine cut 5mm MDF if I use better lens ?

Thank you.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have never cut MDF, but it sounds like iuliusdobre (who started this thread) has cut 5mm MDF. See the first message.

I cut 1/4" acrylic (6.3mm) all the time, and even 3/8" (9.5mm), although it is slow and the edges aren't straight/great quality.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yesterday I installed the amp meter (a similar with the one used for robertk925). The installation was very simple... just like robertk925 described it. Also is the same way SarbarMultimedia did it on his youtube video. I noticed that at 60% power it's using 15mA. 60% is what I always use for cutting.
    Regarding the 5 mm MDF... I'm cutting it pretty much. I use 60% power and 8m/s. For this material I've changed the bed... I made some kind of nails with the sharp point up to narrow the contact surface with the wood. Less contact, clean cut... Much contact, it leaves some king of wax that is stains both the wood and the bed.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for reminding me. I have a really simple pin table that I made from perforated steel plate (you could also use aluminum) like this:
    Amazon.com: A36 Steel Perforated Sheet, Unpolished (Mill) Finish, Hot Rolled, Staggered 0.125" Holes, ASTM A36, 0.12" Thickness, 11 Gauge, 12" Width, 24" Length, 0.1875" Center to Center: Industrial & Scientific

and slotted steel roll pins like this:
    McMaster-Carr

I had to reduce the length of the plate from 24" to 22" (as I have a ruler mounted on the table that it indexes against). I also had to cut the lower right corner to clear one of the Z-axis screws.

Mark the rows and columns with a marker. Mine are spaced approximately 1"x1". Place the plate on a hard, flat surface (I used my garage floor). Start gently hammering in the roll pins until they bottom out on the hard surface. They won't all be perfect, but you can flip the table over later and use a small piece of aluminum or acrylic to flatten the pins to the backside of the plate. While it may not be most perfectly flat surface, I haven't had any problems using it to cut for a few months. It really reduces the backsplash, and is sturdy enough to hold almost any material.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese laser 50W, 50x30cm - bad/good stuff, mods, problems etc.-50w_laser_table-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I found another tutorial about adding an ammeter to the machine.... LensDigital - How to add ammeter to 50W Chinese laser cutter from eBay

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great link, I hadn't seen that one before.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Indeed, great tutorial. I believe is made by a user of this forum.
    This is how I did mine...

This way I haven't made any modification to the machine, except cutting the wire from the laser tube to connect the ammeter

And this is how my bed looks:

It is made from two 40x30 cm MDF boards cut with my laser machine. In the corners I put 2 small magnets. This way is locked. Now I got zero reflection.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese laser 50W, 50x30cm - bad/good stuff, mods, problems etc.-4-jpg   Chinese laser 50W, 50x30cm - bad/good stuff, mods, problems etc.-7-jpg   Chinese laser 50W, 50x30cm - bad/good stuff, mods, problems etc.-6-jpg   Chinese laser 50W, 50x30cm - bad/good stuff, mods, problems etc.-5-jpg  

Chinese laser 50W, 50x30cm - bad/good stuff, mods, problems etc.-3-jpg   Chinese laser 50W, 50x30cm - bad/good stuff, mods, problems etc.-2-jpg   Chinese laser 50W, 50x30cm - bad/good stuff, mods, problems etc.-1-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice job on both! Always great to make updates to your machine using that machine. Another improvement I made to my unit was to put weatherstripping/gaskets on all doors to guide the airflow from the front (and prevent rattling).

Later on I will upload pics of my dual laser pointer holder.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm looking forward to see your dual laser pointer holder and the weatherstripping/gaskets. Also, to see your ruler and the motorized bed

Downloads
    Uploads

Guys, just wanted to add to this thread. I recently acquired a 50w cina 50x30cm laser. (found it on Craigslist. dirt cheap)
    Parallel to this find I was on path to rebuilding a china 40w smaller ebay unit. since getting the 50 w unit. I turned my attention to the the larger unit.

After getting the unit back to my home/shop I quickly did an evaluation. it needed several repairs. but in the the end I got it running quite nicely.
    I had prior to this built my own chiller. Ill post up some pics. I have been following youtube/SarbarMultimedia for some time.
    he has a ton of useful information to share. not to mention he is a splendid fellow.

What I have done to revive my 50 watter:
    1: Replace the main DSP with a Lightobject LO-X7 (for no reason ther than i had it to install) the built in DSP worked.
    2: clean/flush out the mystery tube. it was full of trash and clogged up.
    2a: machine and install new water jacket fittings as the metal ones were corroded and fell off. (my repair on the tube was a 100% success)
    3: check and align the tube/mirrors lens and head. I completely followed Russ's method and felt it was fool proof and easy.
    3a: in doing so I had already constructed/devised a laser pointer to use for the alignment process. Then found Russ's youtube post.! go figure!
    4: Replaced the water flow sensor. (it was bad) and some fittings.
    5: Plumbed in my chiller.
    6: constructed my own blower/air evacuation setup. (same as Russ's) it works perfectly.
    7: Built a rolling stand out of aluminum to hold said laser and components.
    8: Ordered and waiting to arrive a 45w laser tube 1000mm from LO. the current one is 860mm? +/- gussing its a 35/40w max tube?
    8a: while the tube fires cleanly and is very pink while firing I wanted more power.
    9:replaced the limit switches with mechanical micro switches.
    10: added a Amp meter.

Things I built along the way.
    1: Laser alignment thingy for aligning the mirrors.
    2: Height gage for setting and optimizing the head/lens height.
    3: Acrylic targets for easy alignment of mirrors (see Russ's posts)
    4: redesigned Laser tube mount for newly ordered 45W co2 tube. Ill post pics of it too.

Things I want to add.
    1: a motorized Z table lift. it already has the knurled hand knob on the lower right. I just need to add a DC motor with a reversing switch
    2: water temp sensors In and out.
    3: Emergency off switch.
    4: a larger window or redesign the main door.
    (to be added)

I'll stop here.
    -Sam

Last edited by the.sniper; 12-29-2015 at 07:51 PM. Reason: forgot to add:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Sam,

Thank you for sharing!
    Please, could you detail the replacement of the limit switches with mechanical micro switches?
    Besides the replacement, you made any other change? What type of mechanical switch did you use?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

///Replace the main DSP with a Lightobject LO-X7 (for no reason ther than i had it to install) the built in DSP worked.///

Sam,since you have experience with both RuiDa and Lightobject controllers, could you please tell how they compare? The advantages and disadvantages you've noticed.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast