Newbie Days away from ordering a G Weike LC6090...

Thread: Days away from ordering a G Weike LC6090...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Days away from ordering a G Weike LC6090...

Here is the skinny, I'm not sure I actually have anything important to ask. I am looking to order a new laser engraving/cutting machine and have my eyes on the G Weike LC6090 after reading countless reviews and poking around numerous forums and seeing all the satisfied people. Is there anything I should be asking myself before I order a machine. Is this a good choice? Did I mention I have never owned a CNC anything in my life?

Comments and suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

-Wes

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hiya Wes,

Business or hobby use?

Hobby then an import will be fine as you have time to sort the little problems that will come up.
    Business....bad move..no experience will mean support calls on a daily basis that may not get responded to very quickly.

OPLaser support forum ? View topic - Importing A Laser For Business Use

cheers

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Dave,

I have seen many posts by you in my prowls of the internet for information.

I want to say it will be for a little of both. Business and hobby. I am going to buy it for hobby use, and if I can make some money on the side once in a while, great!

The story of the decision to buy one is a little humorous and perhaps misguided, but oh well.

So, I found a clock I wanted to buy. Awesome clock made from acrylic gears and bicycle chains and such. I put my order in, and didn't hear anything for a month and a half of my clock (still haven't). So, being a mechanical designer, I set about designing my own while keeping it similar to his because I was so infatuated with it. I got the design finalized, began buying parts. But when I got my quote back on laser cutting the acrylic numbers, it came in at $800! I got right around that number from multiple sources, and that number didn't even include material, I still had to supply that. I began searching laser cutters and was pleasantly surprised at the prices. I decided that $800 would be better spent on a system to supply my own numbers, plus I can cut my gears from acrylic now too instead of milling them from aluminum. My bank decided they would lend a little help, and here I am!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Days away from ordering a G Weike LC6090...-clock-frontal-jpg

Here is my design of said clock. All numbers, gears and sprockets will be 1/8" acrylic. I am making 4 and only need 3. So if any one is interested, I will sell off the 4th.

-Wes

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hiya Wes,

Hearing about me not sure if that's good or bad

That clock looks like it could be a seller...To be honest my friend I'd remove the picture in case somebody with a laser see's it and jumps your ship. You could make the chain front acrylic too maybe? I've done a few tracks and belts from both acrylic and mdf and they work quite well considering.

The design looks fantastic and I can see it would likely be a popular purchase.

As to the laser, have a natter with a few of the guys from the forum link I posted, some of them have got import machines and had both good and bad experiences. I'm quite biased, I don't like imported machines for making money (too much downtime for me) as even quite simple problems can spiral.

best wishes

Dave

PS: For laser forums I go by

Exsecratio (Latin For Cursed)
    Spooky (An old nickname)
    Dave Sheldrake (My real name)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default gweike laser

send you private message already

tina from gweike laser
    email:tina@wklaser.com

[H]Ms Tina Lee ----G.weike laser

Email: tina@wklaser.com
    MSN:lysunshine521@hotmail.com
    WEB:www.wklaser.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Wes

I know how you are feeling about now as i ordered my gw6090 2 weeks should be boarding a ship today. Go for it

Tina at Gweike was my contact, she really did me get me a good deal and I'm looking forward to getting my laser in about 30 days time.

here are some pics

[ATTACH=CONFIG]211836[/ATTACHDays away from ordering a G Weike LC6090...-sarf-12-jpgDays away from ordering a G Weike LC6090...-sarf-01-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Days away from ordering a G Weike LC6090...-sarf-19-jpg   Days away from ordering a G Weike LC6090...-sarf-07-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all the enthusiasm guys!

To be completely honest, I'm not real concerned with anyone taking the design as its not really my own. I have to give credit to the original designer (who did not send me the one I purchased). I more or less copied his gear ratios, and made a few changes to accommodate manufacturing in my workshop and limited lathe skills.

Making the chain from acrylic is a great idea! I will have to try that in the future, thanks Dave! Unfortunately, for this design, the numbers are held on via neodymium magnets so the steel chain is required. How did you hold the chain links together? Did they snap somehow? Or did you have to glue them together?

-Wes

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

They can be snap together Wes, takes a bit of fiddling and requires extruded acrylic (the size is more accurate) but works well (same for MDF only less size issues)

cheers

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you have an example you could show me, Dave?

-Wes

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sure,

gimme a while to get onto the work machine and I can send you the DXF

cheers

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Make sure you get one with a Reci Tube.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My last post never made it up here.

I have officially put my order in and sent payment for my LC6090. I will try and keep this conversation updated as my order progresses. My decision in ordering from G. Weike was largely based on posts from this forum as well as others. That being said, I feel like it is my duty to add to the archives of ordering/receiving of an import laser for future people like me to make educated and confident decisions.

The ordering experience has gone quite well. Lucy Lee from G. Weike is my sales rep. She has been very responsive and answered all my questions quite well and in a timely fashion, even on weekends. I did run into a bit of confusion when it came to wiring them my payment. I didn't receive any written instructions on wiring, just the banks information and address. I was left to hope the wire would make it through and the Bank of China would accept it (I have read posts of wires being rejected due to abbreviated names and such). So fingers crossed and hoping I don't have to make another $45 wire.

I am extremely excited to receive my machine. A few questions still linger as far as shipping though, so if anyone has any input, please let me know. I have seen ASA Brokers mentioned a few times around the forums as far as a complete port to door solution. Any other ideas? Should I let G. Weike get it to Los Angeles and take over from there? Or should I have a company of my choosing pick it up from the Chinese port?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

@ Dave,

Did you ever make it to your work computer? I have found an application for a plastic chain on my clock. No hurries

Thanks!

-Wes

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wdemaster View Post
    My last post never made it up here.

I have officially put my order in and sent payment for my LC6090. I will try and keep this conversation updated as my order progresses.......
    Hi Wes-

How do you like the LC6090?
    Also, I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger on a G.Wieke machine and wondered how you handled the shipping, did you go with or w/o brokers and cost. Thanks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We used a broker to handle the importation and another company for the shipping. Total cost with truck delivery was about $180 additonal (on top of payment to Weike for the machine). I second wdemaster's comment. Lucy is generally very helpful and responsive. A couple of issues you need to be aware of:
    1. Remember that your warranty does not include shipping of bad parts back to China for inspection, or for shipping of replacement parts. Having said that, we were able to send photos of a couple of things and avoided the cost of shipping back.
    2. Machines converted from 240V to 120V can have issues because not all of the parts are designed for the 2x current loading. We had problems with switches and HV laser supply. All easily fixed, but they were unexpected and puzzling at first. If you can swing a 240V outlet at your location, I recommend it.
    3. We had a tube failure, and Weike went to bat for us with the tube mfr to get a replacement. They also pre-tested the tube to make sure the output met the spec (the first one provided to them by the tube mfr didn't). Shipping of replacement tubes is heinously expensive if you don't have a large discount with a shipper. There seems to be a different fee schedule for China that would make it advantageous to pay the company in China to ship it. Check the rates if you run into this.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Days away from ordering a G Weike LC6090...

This is Shelly from GWEIKE laser. If anyone want to get a machine for hobby or for business can contact me shelly@wklaser.com whatsapp/wechat/Skype +8618615219714. Gweike always will be your best vendor.