Laser Engraving Glass - smooth finish problems

Thread: Laser Engraving Glass - smooth finish problems

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy Laser Engraving Glass - smooth finish problems

When engraving large areas of glass, I am getting this mottled effect whereby glass has flaked off in some areas and not in others.

I have tried using a soft brush to remove some, but want to avoid harsh scrubbers as I ended up scratching the glass on a test piece. I have tried engraving with and without wet paper, and with and without air assist as some people have said to use.

Does anyone have experience with engraving glass and how to best avoid this or how to best remove it? It comes off slowly with a fingernail scratching it, but want a quick, easy and scratch free way of doing so.

Laser Engraving Glass - smooth finish problems-image-jpg

Cheers

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Laser Engraving Glass - smooth finish problems

Looks Like you have to much power, lower power increase your speed.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LaserMikey View Post
    When engraving large areas of glass, I am getting this mottled effect whereby glass has flaked off in some areas and not in others.

I have tried using a soft brush to remove some, but want to avoid harsh scrubbers as I ended up scratching the glass on a test piece. I have tried engraving with and without wet paper, and with and without air assist as some people have said to use.

Does anyone have experience with engraving glass and how to best avoid this or how to best remove it? It comes off slowly with a fingernail scratching it, but want a quick, easy and scratch free way of doing so.

Laser Engraving Glass - smooth finish problems-image-jpg

Cheers
    We have had an issue in the past with that using the correct speed and power. For those pieces we know are prone to flaking, we use green laser mask tape on the piece.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks ill try at a lower power. Maybe i need to test using different paper?

From what i'm reading isnt the green laser tape for cutting a stencil for sandblasting?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ah cheers bigbird. I had it on fastest speed but i accidentally had it on way too high a DPI, once i reduced that it wasn't half flaking off.

However still getting small bits flaking off the edges here and there. I either want it all flaked off or none at all... Don't really want to reduce the DPI again, guess I will try lower dpi with paper.

I found using paper mask tended to leave burnt residue in the frosting or maybe it's just the type of paper I used

Downloads
    Uploads

Try spraying a mix of water and dish soap on the glass no paper or masking.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaserMikey View Post
    ah cheers bigbird. I had it on fastest speed but i accidentally had it on way too high a DPI, once i reduced that it wasn't half flaking off.

However still getting small bits flaking off the edges here and there. I either want it all flaked off or none at all... Don't really want to reduce the DPI again, guess I will try lower dpi with paper.

I found using paper mask tended to leave burnt residue in the frosting or maybe it's just the type of paper I used